message from Chris... and butchers' blocks

Hoverfrog_still

[quote user="Chancer"]Oak doesnt have the anti-bacterial properties of beech.[/quote]

And a little article to back that up.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/349

and another

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

And one showing the mighty oak and its anti-bacterial properties.

http://www.wilms.com/Hygiene/Presse/wilmshf5920057281.pdf

so wood is better than plastic - but is end-grain oak going to cause any problems???

There are butchers blocks and butchers block worktops for sale on the internet in oak, but as far as I can tell they're not end-grain.

What are the potential hazards of using it end-grain?

And how beautiful they look, Danny.

Talking about end grain, we were visiting a nice town this week and I saw some end grain oak squares used like granite setts as paving to make a path crossing a courtyard that has a covering of chippings.

They looked very good and kinda "eco" and I thought it must be a cheaper way of creating a path than using flagstones or indeed granite setts.

Those worktops look beautiful - maybe an idea for our UK kitchen when we finally get round to it! If the amount of money in the kitty allows! Some of their other furniture appealed, too.

I've seen wooden squares used like that across gardens Sweet; very effective and natural looking.

I think that here, in the Charente, and if embedded in chippings which leave the ground pretty dry, they should be fine.

What I can't understand is why these makeover programmes on UK TV always seem to advise the use of acres of so called "decking" in the garden where they must surely soon get mossy and slippery as hell?

For me, some "hard" landscaping looks nice in a garden but a garden will always mean beautiful and intelligent planting in my old-fashioned view.

[quote user="Chancer"]

So having said that it doesnt have the same bacterial qualities as beech I can now precise that it is even better.

Our forefathers knew a thing or two so it seems.

[/quote]

Or maybe Darwin's natural selection came into play

Going back to end grain or not, if you have the grain running horizontally when you cut it cuts through the grain and you will get bits chipping out. If you are cutting into the end grain all you do is to seperate the very top of the grain and not cutting it and it just goes back into place with no damage!

As for greying? The board won't be subjected to the normal things that grey oak like sunshin and rain. Plus it will almost certainly be oiled occasionally and this will stop any bad colouring. So, I don't think that there would be any problems using oak as an end grain block.

• 1 month later...
Last I heard, Jonz, Chris was expecting his old man to pay him a visit.  So, I expect he's busy washing dishes from the last 6 weeks, washing clothes from the last 6 months and generally tidying up the house and himself for his dad's visit!  LOL

Chris was desperately trying to finish his kitchen before his Dad came over but it didn't quite happen!

H's got the framework in, moved the water heater down to the cave, and got the sink in and working.

The worktops are laminated oak with a border of wider oak, and look amazing!