Sash Clamps

Ian

I need to buy at least two sash clamps with a range of 48" or so, as I'm going to make a two-piece door (like a stable door) for the kitchen.

I have several of the cheap (for France) Revex clamps from Leroy Merlin, and they're not very good, so this time I'm going to buy the clamps in the UK.

I'm undecided between traditional bar clamps, and the american-style pipe clamps. I like the flexibility of the pipe clamps, though, how you can use them with a variety of lengths of pipe.

Has anybody used these? Specifically, Axminster's own (cheap) version? Could I get additional piping anywhere in France?

Thanks

Yes I use pipe clamps and swear by them, I also have a pair of pre-war Record clamps that i inherited from my Father, it pains me to say that the pipe clamps are better.

I ordered them direct from an American woodwork supplier back when the pound was strong against the dollar and they were very cheap, for the pipe I purchased "gas barrel" from a plumbing supply group which has the correct BSP thread (the septic tanks use a different denomination but it is BSP) these came in 2 meter lengths, may have been 3 threaded both ends, they each came with a coupler so I now have various lengths from 0.5 to 2 metres long that can be joined with the couplers.

The clmaps are also very usefull at times as spreaders or jacks  if you reverse the heads there arealso some usefull accessories, bear claw pads and a clamp that slides down the tube to work at 90 degrees are a couple that spring to mind

Being very mean I really don't understand buying clamps that you are only going to use now and again. You say you have French clamps but they are not very good, how tight to you want to clamp up? Or come to that you could just use wooden frames and wedges, cheap and easy to use.

Edit:  why not use ratchet straps? I do and then use them after to keep my wallet closed [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]

Edit:  why not use ratchet straps? I do and then use them after to keep my wallet closed [:D]

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Mine have been used over and over again for some very imaginative purposes, a very usefull thing that one cannot have too many of.

Nick, my existing (french) clamps aren't wide enough for the door, which is why I need new ones. Yes, I could make up wedged jigs on the workbench, but it's a lot of work for a once-off situation, while clamps are re-usable

And yes, I'll be using ratchet straps to keep everything tight. At €3 each from Brico-Depot, they're magic, but I want to use at least two rigid clamps to start with.

Cheers

I too use ratchet straps, but don't forget to put a piece of wood under the strap where it goes around the edge of you door, etc. That stops the strap biting into the corner of the edge. Also, if you are glueing up a door or the like if you use a couple of 'F' clamps to clamp a couple of lengths of wood across the 2 faces of the door it will make sure it stays flat..

• 1 month later...
I've just bought these clamps, from Rutlands

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPromotions.cgi?promo=105

(If the link doesn't work, it's 6 off bar clamps, 54", for £60, plus £12 postage)

They look reasonable, and at that price well worth the gamble, I think.

Cheers