Selling oils and pots

My partner and I are moving to France in October.  We will, after a few months of setting up, be aiming to sell my partner's oil on canvas paintings and handmade pottery under the microbic system having registered with the C de C/C de M etc.

I was wondering whether anyone already doing something similar could offer advice on how best to maximise our income in terms of the selling outlets we use.  The three I've thought of so far are markets, Internet and exhibitions.  Are there any others?  Should we look to split our effort equally between those three, or concentrate on one above the others?  Anything else generally I should consider?

Thank you very much.

Mark (who can't even draw a horse's head) [:(]

I am an artist....but my marketplace is England.....but I would no doubt do what you are doing if I decided to live in France permanently.

So I do notice where are is displayed.

One place of note in our French town is in the local Tourist Office....especially if your oils have a theme that ties in with the area.

What works in England should work in France. An Open Studio day will get people talking about what you are doing....as will offering lessons. Don't forget that you can sell your work in England. Scenes of French landscapes, village life etc etc have always been popular and would sell at the French Poperty exhibitions or French markets.

Consider investing in a Printer capable of producing top quality Giclee prints. Trying to make money from Originals is notoriously difficult unless you have a reputation and can sell regularly for Big Money. Otherwise the time it takes to accomplish doesn't really reap the right reward.

A Printer capable of producing prints up to A1 size on canvas (or various heavy duty papers) costs around £2500 (though they can be got for less second hand). They use digital technology and will produce top notch prints in small runs from your stored images. That way you could produce limited edition prints....and use the image to produce notecards and other less expensive sized items. Then you can sell your prints either stretched over a frame or mounted and framed behind glass.

Worth considering if you want to get maximum profit from the work you do. If you do a picture that is a real winner it is a shame to sell it as a one-off.

Sounds like good commonsense advice mossman, always with people like us the problem is marketing and being consistent enough to generate sales and reputation. I think one has to use the grey cells to think creatively about marketing and realistic enough to provide for everyday living.  Getting out there and asking the question is the first step. I haven't looked for a market here yet, my carving work is in the UK for schools and local authorities but I do have a backup of other timber related work, all of which is here. ironically word of mouth is working quite well here at the moment and I'm getting projects coming in.  I think if you can have another financial backup then you have more time to develop what you really want to.

Good luck, Chris

What will be the themes of the paintings - anything and everything?  Typical French scenes? I can recommend that you link to as many websites dealing in France as possible or at least see if some of them will allow you to do so. Also, try Vive La France exhibition in January at Olympia. It is sadly lacking true paintings, although the poster and 'art' stand was extremely busy.

Bluedog[:)]

Thanks all for taking the time to respond with such helpful advice.

The theme of the paintings will be an abstract take on traditional scenes and locally renowned sites of natural beauty.  So, when we're finally domiciled in the Pyrenees, we would be selling, for instance, interpretations of Gavarnie, Pic du Midi etc, in the hope that people will have enjoyed their experiences of these sites and want a lasting reminder of them.  The 'abstract' nature of my partner's work does not render the subject unrecognisable, but neither is it a stricly literal and conventional facsimile of the subject.  It sounds feasible to me as a viable income generator, if only in the spring and summer months. 

If not, I could always resort to flogging plastic Virgin Mary statues full of 'holy' water in Lourdes.  I'm not proud. [;-)]

• 2 weeks later...
That's a bit mean - are you expecting a big bunch of freeloaders from the Chambre de Metiers, so you can't treat any of us who are in the area at the time?

"My Unmade Bed" - is it similar to Tracy Emmin's “Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995”? [;-)]

[quote user="Cassis"]That's a bit mean - are you expecting a big bunch of freeloaders from the Chambre de Metiers, so you can't treat any of us who are in the area at the time?

"My Unmade Bed" - is it similar to Tracy Emmin's “Everyone I Have Ever Slept With 1963-1995”? [;-)]
[/quote]

If you're in the area at the time, you'll be part of the piece, raking in those euros on our other venture. [;-)] 

[quote user="Mark"]

My first exhibition, 'My Unmade Bed', will welcome visitors to my studio in the Vendée from October 1st.  Free aperos for anyone from the Chambre de Metiers.

[/quote]

'egger' may be in the Vendee at that time, surely you would offer her a glass of something tasty? [:)]

[quote user="Cassis"]What, Egger is no longer settling in Brittany?  What are the airports like in the Vendee?
[/quote]

The runways were all mistakenly laid vertically, and would therefore be far too dangerous for Egger to use, unfortunately.