OK I'll start.

[quote user="louweezel"]   I like the goblets jonzjob. How long does it take to make one???

Also odd question, when you go to craft fairs etc, why are the woodworkers always making/selling wooden mushrooms??!! (varying in size up to the chainsaw lot!)

I have made some steel mushrooms though....................[:)]

Louise

[/quote]

Hi Louise, the second name of the girl getting married is Louise...

It takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to turn a goblet,,,,    if all goes well. That includes the polishing too, but that doesn't take too long.

Mushrooms. Well I make them too. I normally use tiny bits of wood that wouldn't get used for anything else, not even bookmarks.. They tend to sell quite well to, which quite surprised me at first. One of the other little things are darning dollies, remember those? The mushrooms that used to be used to darn socks, etc. Most people haven't a clue what they are for, but I remember having to darn my own socks as a single bloke in the R.A.F.

I'm afraid that working with metal and big 'ammers ain't for me. It upsets me hangover and get me 'ands dirty, but there is a metal sculpteur living just over the back from here. I hear the meleuse da'angle going most of the day and have seen his work in the village. Not really my style, but we aren't all the same I'm glad to say...

Must go and make a 'petty rien' (little present) for a friend who we are dining with on Sunday.

John.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I'm afraid that working with metal and big 'ammers ain't for me. It upsets me hangover...........

John.

[/quote]

Nothing shifts a hangover faster!!

On the subject of metal, are there any other metalworkers out there in Forum land?............. i want to pick someones brain about tools, metal supplies etc.

Louise

[quote user="Gastines"]

A question for the woodworkers. What should I try to get to for the staffs of tall hiking sticks?

[/quote]

I rate hazel. I dont use a stick as a rule (pun intended) but I do for my old style of hunting, bushing the hedgerows and general mooching. Ive got one stick which ive had for maybe 7 year, I lost it when I had to get a move on, found it again 3 months later in the same spot. Towards the bottom of the stick its well worn one side from being tapped against trees to get the game moving from cover. Had my eye on a nice peice of hazel ( for 2 years), using vines Ive tried to manipulate it, but its in a dense place and dont think the growth is there. Blackthorn is meant to be good stuff, Ive cut one straight piece for drying. Most is just too knobbly, although some might like the character.

Theres a few stickmaking books about, never looked at one, but I can get a name of a few if youd like.

I like that turned goblet, could you get 2 rings on it, to symbolise his and hers? At the french game fair up at Chambon, there was a chainsaw demo, A guy had carved a square shape and hollowed it all out except for a ball in the centre. Awesome. Seen a few other demos in the UK all sponsored, good spectacle. Inspiring.

[quote user="Bud"][quote user="Gastines"]

A question for the woodworkers. What should I try to get to for the staffs of tall hiking sticks?

[/quote]

I rate hazel. I dont use a stick as a rule (pun intended) but I do for my old style of hunting, bushing the hedgerows and general mooching. Ive got one stick which ive had for maybe 7 year, I lost it when I had to get a move on, found it again 3 months later in the same spot. Towards the bottom of the stick its well worn one side from being tapped against trees to get the game moving from cover. Had my eye on a nice peice of hazel ( for 2 years), using vines Ive tried to manipulate it, but its in a dense place and dont think the growth is there. Blackthorn is meant to be good stuff, Ive cut one straight piece for drying. Most is just too knobbly, although some might like the character.
Theres a few stickmaking books about, never looked at one, but I can get a name of a few if youd like.

I like that turned goblet, could you get 2 rings on it, to symbolise his and hers? At the french game fair up at Chambon, there was a chainsaw demo, A guy had carved a square shape and hollowed it all out except for a ball in the centre. Awesome. Seen a few other demos in the UK all sponsored, good spectacle. Inspiring.
[/quote]

Hi Bud, yes I can turn 2 rings for a goblet stem, but what I have done for wedding presents is to turn 2 goblets and a bowl or a heart like the one below.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/CHRISEMMAPRES1.jpg[/IMG]

I really rate blackthorn. If you carve the knobbly bits off it does give a lovely effect to the very dark bark. It's quite rigid too because it is a dense wood... Once again, Axminster Power Tools new catalog have a book on making walking sticks. I got mine on Friday. It keeps me occupied for ages and is a free catalog. A boat load of stuff in it too.