Photocopier or printer?

Cat

I've just had a visit from an elderly English couple that live near me, they wanted to know if I could help them find a replacement toner cartridge for their Canon photocopier.  I had a quick google and found several, but all were at least £49.  Well for that they could just about get a printer/scanner/copier, but as they are both die-hard technophobes they won't even consider anything that has to be connected to a computer.  So we looked at the new breed of digital photo printers that don't need to be connected to a computer, but none of these seem to be able to make A4 sized copies.

So... does anyone happen to know of a something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is capable of making A4 black and white copies without being connected to a PC? 

That will leave me free to research the 4 other things that they wanted help with (as well as being technophobes they are also a bit light on french language skills, sigh...).

Don't touch HP Printer/Scanners as there are major issues with thee at the moment. They do have printer/scanners that will work as a standalone mono or colour copier (the PSC models normally) - but I would recommend avoiding them.

I would expect most on the "mainstream" manufacturers would do them (HP, Canon, Epson, etc.).

Also bear in mind that these are normally ink jet based so a copy does not react too well to water/damp whereas a copier/laser based copy is better in this regard.

Ian

I think most inkjets are fairly greedy feeders - if consumables is an issue then lasers always win in the long run.  Depends how much you print.  I don't print a lot but occasionally need colour, so the cost of a laser can't be justified.  Depends on your usage pattern.

Cassis, I had two colour inkjets here in my study and a black and white laser. The problem that I have found is that if you don't use the injets on a regular basis then the ink dries or it prints out a bad page on the first print using expensive photo paper. It was costing so much per page that I bit the bullet and spent around €300 on a colour laser. I now use any old paper and get a good print every time, even if it has not been used for 3 weeks. OK the toner is expensive at €70 times 4. but that should be every 3 or 4 years, so will end up being much cheaper than inkjet cartriges.

When I was in the UK. I was a trained systems analyst, and changed many small businesses over to lasers from inkjets and never had one of them that didn't save at least 50% of their printing costs. The only problem was always the initial outlay, but that is changing now with the cost of colour lasers falling.

Cat 46, If their photocopier is still working and it is somewhere dry (damp isn't good for them) I think buying the replacement toner may not be such a bad thing, being as they don't want to connect it to a PC.

The technical bods here are talking about solutions that are great but initiallly more expensive.If they are technophobes and are reasonably happy with what they have they may be happier sticking with what they have.

HP combined printer/scanners have a major issue with software minimum requirements for PCs. There have very specific web browser requirements (not just the IE 4 or later they claim). Under quite a lot of situations the scanner software will not work at all. HP have been aware of this for over 6 months and have done nothing about it. It is quite easy to cause the problem. For example, install IE7 and say goodbye to any scanning/fax functionality from your HP printer. Word from HP is "could not give a f**k". Seems this software issue applies to all their printer/scanner solutions. Printing works OK its the scanning that is very iff'y.

If you have an HP printer/scanner turn off your (automatic) Windows Update and avoid updates as far as possible (as they can break the HP scanner stuff).

Whilst it is a straight forward bug in their software (and not too difficult to find as it is totally reproducible), the underlying problem is very poor software architecture used by their systems. Had they designed it and used a sensible architecture then the problems would never have arisen. However, the problems do not concern them once they have sold the printers. One major high street retailer is almost certainly going to ditch HP printers due to the issues and lack of any fix or timescales for a fix or even confirmation HP are working on a fix - it's just too much grief for them.

Ian

My 'computer guy' told me that if you buy generic cartridges they are lacking an ingredient which keeps the cartridge heads flowing smoothly, my local supplier sells special cartridges of 'stuff' to prevent the heads blocking but as yet I am using the high use cartridges for my Cannon Pixma ip 2200 as I haven't found generic ones. You pays your money..........

Thank you so much for all your replies [:)]

I've checked out the Canon pixma range, and Conforama currently have the new pixma MP 160 for 79 euros.  It can work as a stand alone photocopier, and will make A4 sized copies.

So I'll give them the Conforama brochure, along with a phone number to order a replacement toner cartridge for their existing photocopier. Then they can make their own choice.

They only use the copier very occaisionally, but often ask me to print off more leaflets for their B&B (as I designed them).  If they go with the Canon they could at least then run off their own colour photocopies.