White goods

thelestalot

Buying a house near Mortain. Does anyone know the best places to get eletrical goods CHEAP. Can't seem to find these shops on the web like we have in the UK i.e. Curry's and Comet. Ideally would like to pre-order from the UK and arrange a delivery date that I can be there. Any help would be appreciated. 

Sorry to have to say this, but having seen, and responded to, your other post, I have to point out that if you are expecting to come to this part of France to live on the cheap, forget it. Unless you have a very simple lifestyle (or are an alcoholic), you will find that overall, everyday living costs are much the same as in Britain. A lot of people seem to get caught out by unrealistic expectations, judging by the many requests for things on the cheap on certain other forums.

You need to re-educate yourself to look at value for money rather than just low initial cost. For instance, a washing machine might be 50€ less on a web site than from the guy in the main street in Mortain. But if you buy from the local man, he will probably deliver it, install it, and provide you with after-sales service. Buying cheap you will often pay extra for the first two, and not get a lot (if any) of the third.

Thanks Will - not necessarily trying to live on the cheap. Trying to understand and compare 'la vie francaise' with the UK.

I think walking down the local street and buying where there is little difference suites me fine. In the UK the differentials are large between Mr Smith and Curry's these days. I will always pay a little more for the extra service - delivery, fitting etc and AFTER SALES SERVICE.

I am also proud to buy second hand goods when needs must. Many people in the UK won't - does this happen more in France ?  

Many thanks for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Rob

No problem, glad we agree on certain points. There does seem to be a misconception about France having low living costs - I think holidays can give a false impression because eating out, drinking etc can  be cheap, but when you start living in France for real you notice the dearer things. In the big cities, and, arguably, towards the south coast, the culture is more 'British' (or should that be 'American'?) but life is quite different in the rural parts, particularly in the north.

M Renault in the main street in Mortain is excellent for things like washing machines, woodburners etc and comes highly recommmended via this forum.

An alternative to new or secondhand is what is known in Britain as 'B' grade or 'Classified' goods (I've temporarily forgotten the French term), effectively new, but with slight cosmetic imperfections or having been used for demonstration etc. The chap above in Mortain often has some, and they can be found in several of the depôts ventes, such as the one in Vire.

The French do seem to hold on to things for longer, maybe because there is not the same opportunity, and temptation, to buy. So there is not the glut in second hand goods that there is in Britain, plus second-hand prices in France can seem very high compared with Britain. Consumerism/materialism and built-in obsolescence is fast gathering momentum in France, but for now at least nobody is that bothered about whether you buy new or used. Another thing - the French seller/customer relationship is rather different from the British, more 'take it or leave it' than 'the customer is always right'. You will see something similar with officials and - most noticeably - banks.

Agreed on the price of secondhand goods, particularly electricals, which sometimes make me laugh - not unusual to see a dirty, clapped out freezer in a brocante costing almost as much as a new one (not to mention the cheaply made, ropey, wobbly furniture fit for firewood but selling at the price of a valuable antique). 

You have to look very hard and regularly to pick up second hand bargains. 

But auction rooms ("salles de vente") usually yield better prices than in the trocs and brocs.

Yes, if you really want to furnish or equip a house for not much money, go to the auctions - in England. And hire (or buy, like we did) a van. Even with purchase/hire costs and ferry crossing you'll be - literally - quids in compared with French prices.