wood burning stove

I believe there are also tax advantages (not just the TVA difference) - ie you can claim some sort of rebate for installing woodburners - to having the fitting done by a professional.  The guy who did mine won't travel into the Orne, so I can't help there.

In another thread, Will said:

"

Best to let the supplier install it. Our local Godin supplier, who it

seems has sold stoves to half the British people in the area, including

several on this forum (thanks Dick Smith for the recommendation) does

it at no extra charge - because if you buy just the stove you pay 19.6%

TVA but if you go for stove plus installation TVA is 5.5%. So you pay

the normal cost of the stove alone and effectively get the installation

free, that way everybody is happy, except perhaps the TVA man."

Have you seen this, Deb?

http://www.alpimodel.com/bzr/bz151.html

The 'free' installation mentioned above covers the stove itself, a register plate (the piece of metal that closes off the chimney opening) and the basic flue pipe, and assumes the chimney and fireplace are all ready to take the stove. If extras are needed like a flue liner or special pipes - which can easily account for a 2000€ or so fitting charge - then obviously they will have to be charged extra. I am also talking about a free-standing stove, an insert invoves a lot more work.

Just to connfirm, to qualify for a tax refund the job has to be done by a TVA-registered professional.

Hi

I just thought I would point our a couple of mistakes we made when installing 2 woodburning stoves. Let them free stand, if you put them in the firplace the heat loss up the chimney is huge, even with an insulated plate installed around the exit pipe. Secondly find one that both front and top loads. This makes it simpler to keep things clean. Both of ours are Godin.

Stay warm

Wilko