Breach of Contract?

betty

My house was built 5 years ago but I have only just noticed a couple of installations made incorrectly in accordance of the specifications in the contract. One error was for the VMV connection and the other for the remote operation of window blinds.

I asked the builder to come and put this right but he basically told me it’s too late as these items are out of guarantee. My argument was it was not a matter of guarantee but one of a breach of contract but they don’t want to know or help.

Any advice please?

Fittings only have a limited guarantee by the manufacturer to the installer, so unfortunately if you have waited five years then no reclaim. It would be a different matter if you used them daily for the past five years and suddenly found they had broken, then the manufacturer might get involved. These sort of things are not covered under the builder's insurance either, only the actual construction.

You could, yourself approach the manufacturers and deal with them direct if you can find their name.

Thank you for your comments. It is not a case of breakdowns or corroded batteries.

Re the remote operation of the blinds, the wall switches cannot be operated by remote as the builder installed manual switches (much cheaper) instead of the correct interupteur à distance.

A long story why this has only just been noticed but the two rooms concerned have been unused up to now.

[quote user="Judith"]Unused or not, I would have thought they should have been checked when first installed or when you first moved in, and used on a regular basis, to ensure they kept working.
[/quote]

Yes they should have been, hindsight is a wonderful thing but I have had much more important issues to worry about up to now.