malt vinegar

newbiee

I need some to make chutney, but apart from wine and cider vinegars, the only other option is a basic vinegar (29 cents a litre ... quality stuff!!!).  it smells like chip shop vinegar!  I'll keep this for cleaning stuff .... but can  I get malt vinegar??

My OH was desperate for pickled onions and pickled eggs - a pecularity of les Anglaises? - so I decided to make him a batch to see how they turned out.

In the absence of malt vinegar let alone pickling vinegar I opted for a vinaigre that smelt something akin to what we are used to - vinaigre d'alcool - the results were I am told "delicious......".   Since I used chillis and bay leaves in the concoction to create my own pickling vinegar the fact it was not Sarsons did not make a lot of difference, moreover I have never seen it on sale here so it was Hobson's Choice anyway.  [:)]

[quote user="Framboise"]

My OH was desperate for pickled onions and pickled eggs - a pecularity of les Anglaises? - so I decided to make him a batch to see how they turned out.

In the absence of malt vinegar let alone pickling vinegar I opted for a vinaigre that smelt something akin to what we are used to - vinaigre d'alcool - the results were I am told "delicious......".   Since I used chillis and bay leaves in the concoction to create my own pickling vinegar the fact it was not Sarsons did not make a lot of difference, moreover I have never seen it on sale here so it was Hobson's Choice anyway.  [:)]

[/quote]

I got lovely pink eggs using red wine shallot vinegar.

[blink]Hobsons choice is when you have a look at Clair's signature and it costs you 10€ to buy an album of a singer that you have never heard of before but you like so much you have to have it!

She certainly has a lovely voice [:D] !!

You cost me 10€ Clair!![:-))]

You silly billy!

All you had to do was type her name in Youtube...[:P]

How can you not have heard of Barbara...?

Haunting voice, hasn't she? I bet she didn't gargle with vinegar (back on track...[Www])

Edit: lyrics (she wrote this song for her public with whom she shared her most beautiful love story)