gravy powder

valB

I have been using gravy granuels bought in UK but I want to try some French gravy. Suggestions  please and which supermarket. We like a fairly thick gravy so do they compare with English ones. Yes, I know I could make it from scratch but I don't want to as  it is bad enough making bread, pies, growing veg so I am lazy where gravy is concerned.

The French don't realy do gravy. If I want some for the sausage and mash (essential)  I use stock cubes and a product called Maizana sauceline - sauces brun. It is a mix of cornflour and rice flour and can even be added direct to boiling liquids without going lumpy.

I cannot understand why making 'proper' gravy is so much hassle...

Meat juices in the roasting tin tin or frying pan stir in cornflour add the water from any of the vegetables you are cooking out on the hob stir whilst it thickens & add a dash of gravy browning and voila....

PROPER gravy

it isnt rocket science

cheaper than those grim gravy granules as quick and much better tasting

[quote user="rusheslake"]I cannot understand why making 'proper' gravy is so much hassle... Meat juices in the roasting tin tin or frying pan stir in cornflour add the water from any of the vegetables you are cooking out on the hob stir whilst it thickens & add a dash of gravy browning and voila.... PROPER gravy it isnt rocket science cheaper than those grim gravy granules as quick and much better tasting[/quote]

I find that French meat is so lean and takes such a short time to cook that there is very little by way of fat and what about gravy for other things than roasts?

[quote user="rusheslake"]I cannot understand why making 'proper' gravy is so much hassle... Meat juices in the roasting tin tin or frying pan stir in cornflour add the water from any of the vegetables you are cooking out on the hob stir whilst it thickens & add a dash of gravy browning and voila.... PROPER gravy it isnt rocket science cheaper than those grim gravy granules as quick and much better tasting[/quote]

rusheslake

I don't use cornflour because I don't like that "transparent" look it produces.  I stir plain flour into the fat and juices and then add stock as you describe.

Since I have lived in France, I have often just use the juices in order to cut down on carb consumption (the latter was a problem as I was eating bread at every meal like the French do).

[quote user="babcock"][quote user="rusheslake"]I cannot understand why making 'proper' gravy is so much hassle... Meat juices in the roasting tin tin or frying pan stir in cornflour add the water from any of the vegetables you are cooking out on the hob stir whilst it thickens & add a dash of gravy browning and voila.... PROPER gravy it isnt rocket science cheaper than those grim gravy granules as quick and much better tasting[/quote]

I find that French meat is so lean and takes such a short time to cook that there is very little by way of fat and what about gravy for other things than roasts?

[/quote]

When cooking meat dont you add fat to roast/fry your meat, and even the leanest meat produce wonderful meat juices whcih is the main ingredient of a wonderful gravy. Even when grilling there is always residual juice left in the pan.

Any left over gravy freeze in icecube trays when frozen tip out put icecubes in a freezer bag and label beef/chicken/pork etc et voila

Must admit I do use plain flour when Ive run out of corn flour (which my Granny always used) Im not faffed about the appearance as my gravy always comes complete with little bits that come from deglazing the pan... and I never sieve it... just part of the taste IMO..

Meat juices if you have them, fond de bouillon and crême fraiche works for me.

I actually tried adding tomato puree last night for a meatey pasta sauce and it worked well.

I find that crême fraiche used in moderation is the key ingredient followed by the various fonds available, bouillon, veau, legume etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I always put an onion, cut in quarters, under roast meat. This gives a good dark gravy. For sausages, I would start with long, slow, fried onion, add a little bit of flour and then red wine. I never have and never will use gravy granules / powder etc.

regards

Lisa

I've always been very fond of gravy.  We use the juices from the meat, minus the fat, and Tesco gravy granules.  But just lately, they taste like cardboard to me.  I'm going to have to discover some alternatives.  Perhaps using more wine, beer etc with vegetables to make a sauce.  I think though, that I'm just getting more and more bored with roasts and feel the need to liven them up - although I already use herbs and garlic.  I put Worcester sauce in gravy last time I made it, but it didn't help.  It's fine if we have roast vegetables or spinach, but I do feel  that brussels, carrots etc need gravy.  I might just have to start doing things au gratin instead of with gravy.  I do like to have some sort of sauce with a meal.

How about using a really good home-made stock? We make stock from bones (chicken or veal or beef usually), carrots, celery, onion and herbs etc. We then strain it and reduce it right down and freeze it in ice-cube trays. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but the flavour is wonderful and it is very easy to get a cube out of the freezer when you need it.

regards

Lisa

We went for lunch to our French friends home & she had slow cooked a chicken in a big pan with a lid on the gas ring for about 4 hours. It was delicious, & she poured a very weak looking mixture over it that I took to be gravy. It was however, just the meat juice & water, but it tasted fantastic & moh who usually loves his gravy thick, couldn't get enough of it. So much for making English gravy!