Brico Depot Kitchen

Dog

Should be fun tomorrow.

Last  thursday with the credit crunch in mind we bought a flat pack kitchen for the gatehouse from Brico Depot.

Guess what even with an obligatory 6 year old helping to assemble the carcasses the draw liners are 10mm out and have no indents for the fascia brackets and there is no bar separating the drawer from the cupboard door.

Bloomin' annoying as now have to make a return trip with threequarters of a tonne of MDF.

We bought a BricoDepot cheapo kitchen 18 months ago and it all went together easily. Good value I thought! Ours had separate frames which fitted on the front of the cupboard carcase and the doors and drawers fitted onto this. It was all included in the drawer and doors packs (not the arcase packs). I assume you haven't got any bits left over? The finished thing looks much better for a couple of coats of varnish.

Sid

Thanks for the reply.

It is as you describe there is a  frame that goes on the front of the carcass.

It is the pieces of  wood that go either side of the drawers that do not line up with the pre-drilled holes and are ten millimetres too long so they do not fit within the carcass and also foul the mounting points for the frame of the carcass.

Did your frame having a panel between the drawer and the cupboard door?

I leave for Italy wednesday or thursday - the Velosolex has a problem with its Wal Phillips fuel injector and missfires at over 8,000rpm so I am reluctantly taking the ZXR.

I did have a starnge dream last night my ex-wife was pursuing me around India attempting to embarass me over the death of her second husband. Most enjoyable... I love India.

So instead of practicing my cobra moves I have to go back to Brico Depot - what fun..

Scooter - did you say scooter?

Morris's Garages and scooters - heresy.

Apologies I have calmed down now - I suppose your wife had to have something to nip down to the off licence for your Embassy and Double Diamond.

Hi Dog

No, our front frame was simply made of strips of square section (rebated) timber. The carcases were solid enough, but the doors rather lightweight with really annoying hinges (not the substantial spring-loaded type). BUT, bearing in mind the cost it's come out rather well.

Are you referring to the melamine-faced chipboard pieces which are meant to fit to the sides of the carcase in order to reduce the inside width? I didn't use any of the pre-drilled holes for fastening these and they were a bit messy to fit, but none of them were too long. There were a couple left over too, but I think this was because the drawer packs are multi-purpose... they can be used for a 3-drawer unit, or an under-sink unit or can be use in a double width unit. Sound complicated but it becomes clear once you start to assemble them. No clear instructions either, just the universal pictograms! I remember that there was a lot of head scratching and a process of elimination to relate the pieces in the box with the diagrams! The pieces 10mm longer were only used in the centre of a double cupboard unit (2 drawers, 2 doors) to provide support for the drawer runners, and the longer pieces fitted into the rebate on the back of the front frame!! I've just had a look at them again to see if a photo would help but I can't get the camera in there now.

Good luck on your return trip to BDepot!

Sid

Cheers Sid.

Will look further.

We have assembled a carcass and the melamine faced chipboard drawer packers are the bits that do not fit.

Perhaps somwhere in deepest China or Spain they ran out of the correct length drawer packers and threw in what they had.

The pictograms are annoying as they cover every type/style of unit and show a piece of wood between the drawer and cupboard door.

Crumbs aren't the drawers shallow.

Considered the trip to Brico Depot - the diesel and time and have started what you probably did and make units out of the bits they give you.

Plenty of extra bits for different configurations - it's incredible. But the ones you do get don't fit - you have to adapt and cut to fit - strange.

I have no idea why they give instructions - for sure the man that drew them up never saw the units.

Love the cupboards, wish I'd been allowed to take carpentry at school!!! If you have to buy and not make, the dreaded IKEA kitchens are actually quite solid and easy to put together! Just remember there's no allowance at the back for pipes[8-)]

I'm a great believer that you can do anything if you have the interest and motivation and are not afraid to make mistakes along the way[:D]

Still remember my 'woodwork' teacher, Mr Guilders was his name and a grand inspiring gentleman he was.

I didn't refer to it as woodwork, didn't want to show my age[:$] likewise I did cooking, not home economics[:D] Yes, I'm a great believer in having a go, however a knowledge of the basics makes it so much easier!!! My sister had old pine doors to a cupboard that needed stripping, so I took them down to have them dipped, when we got them back they didn't fit, so I was about to chop a lump off when the electrician who was there suggested tightening up the hinge screws first, I thought they were tight enough, didn't occur to me that it affects how the door hangs[blink][blink][blink] As they say, you learn something new every day[:D]