Duty payable in France

mint

I know I've asked this question before but I didn't really understand how I find out about duty payable on goods bought outside the EU.

For example if the things are from the US, would the duty payable be the same as if they were from New Zealand?

I am being a bit dim here but can someone point me to where I could find the answer?

And could you please let me know sooner rather than later as I am planning to buy something imminently from NZ?  I'd like to calculate the true cost.

Thanks.

Thanks, HSD.  Now can you help me to understand this from your link, please:

Minimum thresholds

When importing goods into France, duty is not charged, if the total value of the goods (not including shipping charges or insurance) does not exceed €150. Neither duty nor VAT is payable if the total value of the goods (not including shipping charges or insurance) does not exceed €22.

So, bear with me:

Duty and VAT are 2 separate things, is that right?

If the total is less than 150 euros, no duty but VAT charged, is that right?

Sorry to be so clueless, but reading official stuff like this has never been a strong point. 

On the really downside, it looks like I might cancel the order just to save myself some grief![:(]

But I like the suggestion of the camera [:D]

Yes you are correct, duty and VAT are two separate things.

If its like the UK they will also charge you VAT on the duty as it has to be paid if over a set amount.

So,

If the declared value of the item is over 22 Euros, (UK is £15) then they will add VAT at the current rate. This will be charged on the item cost plus the post and any insurance paid.

If the item value goes over 150 Euros, then they will take the value of the item, plus shipping and insurance costs and add them together. This total will then be charged import duty at the current rate. THEN, they will add VAT on the total of the item, shipping and import duty total.

What's the old saying "At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!! "   [:D]

Thank you so much, ebaynut.

Glad you've come along and speaking with such authority and in a way that even I "get".

Oh, well, cancel order and ring credit card company in the morning to be belt and braces about it. 

So, if the UK did leave the Eurozone, there'll be no more shopping from "home" then for us immigrants?

Well.....not exactly...

( from [url]https://www.gov.uk/dispatching-your-goods-within-the-eu[/url]     )

The European Free Trade Association’s (EFTA) four member states are Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. Three EFTA states (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) belong to the European Economic Area (EEA), uniting the 27 EU countries and the EFTA states in an internal market. The market enables goods and services to move freely in the EEA in an open and competitive environment. Switzerland has separate trade arrangements with the EU. All EFTA members now benefit from virtually the same privileged relationship among themselves as they do with the EU. For trading purposes, goods moved from EFTA countries to EU members states are treated similarly to goods moved between EU member states.

If the UK "leaves" the EU, then it's quite possible that it will still be able to remain in the EEA/EFTA. Turkey (which isn't an EU member) has similar arrangements with the EU.

We ordered harp tuning pins from America and they  cost about 100€. When they were delivered we were asked for a further 100€+ by the douane and could not have them unless we paid up. Dear do. I tried to get some money back......... but couldn't find anyone who wanted to pay up.

Still I have had a few things from America and paid nothing.

Going back to the other discussion about not giving too much personal info,away on the Internet, I have learned over the past week or so that Idun is a harp playing transvestite trucker. Which is quite a lot more personal info than I needed, really...