car insurance revisit

mint

Has anyone any recommendation for car insurance companies?

I asked this question last year but was unable to do much about recommendations so now I am asking again because, of course, the market changes and you may have new and better recommendations.

Have been with Macif for a few years but am now a bit disenchanted with them.  When I sold my old car last year, it took over 3 months for them to reimburse me, several emails, phone calls and an eventual visit to their place to get my money back.

So a company with reasonable average premiums and good if you need to make a claim.

Thanks in advance. 

nomoss wrote : We're happy with Groupama .. Big Smile

Can only agree .. ☺ .. They were excellent when my Clio ground to a slow stop about 1 km from home a few months ago and had to be transported to our garage about 10 kms away.

But, when we were looking for quotes a couple of years ago, la Poste gave us even cheaper quotes for equivalent cover .. ie home recovery ( my Clio is really v old ☺) plus recovery within a short distance of home, replacement car etc . I have no idea whether they remain still this competitive.

As we didn't take up the la poste quote I don't know how they rate if the need arises.

[quote user="suein56"]nomoss wrote : We're happy with Groupama .. Big Smile

Can only agree .. ☺ .. They were excellent when my Clio ground to a slow stop about 1 km from home a few months ago and had to be transported to our garage about 10 kms away.

But, when we were looking for quotes a couple of years ago, la Poste gave us even cheaper quotes for equivalent cover .. ie home recovery ( my Clio is really v old ☺) plus recovery within a short distance of home, replacement car etc . I have no idea whether they remain still this competitive.

As we didn't take up the la poste quote I don't know how they rate if the need arises.[/quote]

I have to admit that I am somewhat biased towards Groupama.

Their office is on the other side of the road, opposite our house, they have never been anything but helpful, and have handled the few claims we have made (in some 12 years), on our cars' and house policies, efficiently and satisfactorily.

Last month they had assistance to our car within less than 30 minutes, on a Saturday morning in a small town in Spain, when we had a flat battery due to leaving the coolbox connected overnight. We were back on the road within another 10 minutes.

Mint .. panic not .. you have longer .. thanks to the 2015 loi Hamon .. see here :

https://www.lelynx.fr/assurance-auto/couverture/contrat/resiliation/conditions/

You only have to make sure that your cancellation is rec'd a fortnight before it ends.

Take your time .. find the best for you.

Like nomoss our Groupama agency is in our nearest small town ie about 10 km away .. the agents (max 2, except for holiday replacements) are knowledgeable plus they know us personally, and know about our current situation in one click of their keyboard.

But do some research as your (geographic) experience might vary.

• 3 months later...
I've got round to it at last!  That is, do something about our car insurance.

I am here to say thank you again and especially to Sue.  Sue, I have agreed with the chap (well known to us) at our local Banque Postale to take out a contract for our Mazda Premacy and also for the house.  Savings of over 200 euros for the 2 contracts.

Strangely enough, the quote for our new Hyundai came in at over 200 euros more[8-)]  So am now keeping the Hyundai with the old company.

As an aside, I was told that it is not possible to change the garantie accident without a year's notice.  I am not sure I want to continue with this assurance anyway so I have just given notice for next year by lettre recommandée.

Idun told me that this was a very useful thing to have so I am now asking:  does anyone else have this sort of contract and do you think it's worthwhile?

mint wrote : As an aside, I was told that it is not possible to change the garantie accident without a year's notice. I am not sure I want to continue with this assurance anyway so I have just given notice for next year by lettre recommandée.

Good for you reference your garantie accident .. we tried this assurance many years ago when our situation (along with many others) re CPAM was dodgy as we were told we would be in no man's land as regards health cover .. 2007 ish IIRC.

All got sorted very quickly and our CPAM (paid for cover via URRSAF) was continued without problem so we cancelled the cover for accidental cover .. perhaps we hit just the right moment as I don't remember having to give 1 year's notice.

As regards car /house insurance with La Poste .. good for you. We were only reluctant as it was really early days with them for their insurance cover and I could find no data to back their detail up.

Hopefully they will come up trumps (no deffo not him) .. if ever you have need of their help.

I think all assurances come and go, with the flow as it were.  Agree totally with NormanH, that much depends on the person ... in fact I stayed with my insurer after my car accident last year, not because the were good (they weren't particularly  but as I was judged at fault (though as you now 6 of one etc) I decided better the devil you know, at least for a couple of years, until I got back to the no claims level I had, only 1 year away I think from them not being able to change it ...

As for mutuelle, likewise, they changed hands, and seriously thought about trying to get a package more in line with my real requirements (which after research I don't think exists) and since I had finally, after 2 years, got the system working so that it was done automatically, I decided to stay with them.

Sometimes better the devil you know ...

I agree about the devil you know[:D]

However, with everything getting increasingly expensive and our having more expenses (relating to all sorts of "stuff" I need because of having had cancer), I would feel remiss if I didn't at least search out some "better" deals.

I am finding everything very complicated at the moment because I feel so very tired and demotivated but I did want to let Sue know I'd followed her advice with an excellent result.

Mint, indeed, likewise, always good to "look around", as insurances do change, new people come into the market.  And hope that the better weather coming will help with the tiredness, it is so difficult to make yourself do the things you know need doing at this time of year ... good luck, not been an easy time for you either. I know.