Steam Cleaners

Quillan

Some time back people were very helpful when my vacuum cleaner blew up and I have to say I am extremely pleased with my SEBO that many recommended. (http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2776597/ShowPost.aspx ).

So in return I though I might mention that having spent several months looking at steam cleaners I have just bought one and am very happy with it.

We have mainly tiled floors with a couple of rooms having wood block flooring and what with guests and two dogs, especially in winter, I am for ever washing floors. At times it seemed my life was controlled by cleaning floors. I bought one of the JML mops and whilst very good the handles seem to break quite easy and I was basically getting through one a month. A friend has one of those X5 steam cleaners so I started researching them and a few others and it would seem they have a similar problem with handles. So anyway this is what I bought and it is really very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karcher-SC-2-500-Steam-Cleaners/dp/B006B685F4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Do buy from Germany, it is a lot cheaper and no problems getting it delivered in France or the UK.

When we lived in France I bought the most expensive Polti steam cleaner and I sent it back. It was very expensive, about 3000ff at the time and that was some time ago.

When we bought this house, I bought another Polti maybe a 950, about £100's worth, and it is as good as the dear one IMO so quality /price, I am happy with it. I didn't know Karcher did them, our karcher power wash is good though.

I am still happy with our SEBO vacuum cleaner.

[quote user="tinabee"]

We have the cheaper Karcher steam cleaner (about 100 euro) and are very happy with it

[/quote]

I looked at that but it is a single tank. I have about 140m2 of floor to clean so went for the dual tank which means you never have to stop to fill up which for me is excellent. If I had a smaller place yours would be fine. By the way I got mine from amazon.de on special offer for 119 Euros, it' now back up to 159 Euros, still a lot cheaper than in the UK for some reason.

We had a Polti semi professional steam iron a few years ago and it was the worse side of useless. It was recommended and we were told Polti were the make to buy.

I know what you mean about floor cleaning, I'm often whizzing the mop around, I can't stand dirty floors but that's just me.  I have a Vieda mop and bucket system and while it is very good, I'm thinking a steam mop could be quicker and just more convienient.  Interesting what you say about steam cleaners, I bought a no-name one years ago and it was useless, just a gentle waft of steam that cleaned ****** all.  I also read reviews about those X5 cleaners and they seemed to be nowhere good as claimed in the endless TV ads, poor construction too.    I shall go and have a look at the Karcher steamer when I am in the Fatherland next weekend.

Thanks for the heads up

Oh - BTW, is it any good on stairs?  I have lots of tiled stairs to clean too!

I have tiles stairs as well and it works fine. You are not just restricted to floors, there are loads of attachments just like a vacuum cleaner. I made up some extra 'pads' out of an old towel as you only get one for the floor cleaner with it and as I use it every day you don't want to have to keep washing the same one. For windows you can use a micro fibre one but it does leave some water on the window and that is to be expected. I am thinking about getting one of the Karcher window cleaners. When I read the reviews the main problem with them is the applicator for cleaning so I thought that it would work better to clean them with the steam cleaner then vacuum up the water with the window cleaner.

You don't have to clean the pads using a high temperature wash because when you use them the steam will kill all the germs. The first thing I clean with a new pad is the kitchen work surfaces and then move on to the floors. Leaves the work surfaces clean but more importantly sterile. I also use the small attachment for cleaning mirrors and the showers. The little brush is excellent for going round taps and the hinges on toilet seats, you would be surprised how much dirt comes out. It also works well for getting the black mould out if tight corners in showers.

Many people don't bother to read the manual. I mean it looks simple to use, put the pad on and off you go. Then you see negative remarks that they used it once, got loads of smears on the floor so sent it back. If you read the manual it tells you two very important things. Firstly do not use any chemical cleaners and secondly you will get smears for the first couple of cleans as it strips of all the previously used chemicals. You will see the smears disappear after two or three uses. It is not a vacuum cleaner either which one or two think it is (reading the French comments on Amazon). It tells you in the manual that the floor must be properly hoovered before you use it.

The basic cable is quite short, almost useless, so an extension is needed. Unlike a vacuum cleaner you work backwards (think about it) and as the floor cleaning tube and head is so light I prefer to hold the unit in one hand and the cleaning tube in the other kicking the cable back as I go. To heat it up and actually use it I connect it all up and switch it on before I start to vacuum so it is ready for instant cleaning once I have finished vacuuming the floors. I use it like I do the vacuum cleaner so it is really quick to clean and the floors dry quite quickly as well. They ook much better than when I mopped them.

Personally I wish I had bought one of these years ago but then I thought that when I bought the SEBO. If you buy one you won't be disappointed.

Hope that helps.

I can't answer that, sorry. We don't have any carpets. I had a quick look in the manual and it does mention textiles but I don't think that means carpets. What you should really look at is something like a VAX or renting a cleaner. We did the latter once and it was quite good but you need to know what the stains are so you can use the right cleaning liquid. We used it on a cream carpet with a dried in red wine stain. Got most off but not completely and you could always see the mark even though it was very slight.

The steam cleaners are good if you have kids (according to everything you read about them regardless of make) in that they kill virtually all germs and bacteria.

• 1 year later...
Weird as this has come up as an active topic but the last post seems to 05/2013. Anyway..just to say, if anyone is interested in a cleaner, Leroy Merlin have the Karcher 1020 on offer for 70 euros with a 20 euro reimbursement that you apply for. Cheapest I've seen it in UK is £99

I would like something to save time cleaning the stairs for my apartments, they are two long varnished wooden staircases, at the moment i do them by hand bith a cloth but have to be on my hands and knees descending a bucket a couple of steps at a time with it wanting to fall over.

What i want is something labour saving, self contained and where I can use it standing upright going backwards, it would need a shortish handle and ideally no power cord but thats not going to happen with a steam cleaner.

Maybe an adaption of a window one?