posthumous wedding

the pregnant girlfriend of a French soldier killed by Mohamed has been granted permission to wed her partner posthumously, a family lawyer said on Saturday.

The paratrooper Abel Chennouf was shot dead this month at a cash machine in Montauban, southern France.

The lawyer, Gilbert Collard, said Chennouf's pregnant girlfriend, 21-year-old Caroline Monet, is applying for permission to get married to her late partner at an official ceremony in a few weeks

I'm sorry, but I can't get my head around this. Does this happen in other countries? It just strikes me as being, well... wrong

It's not a "new" thing. It has been legal since the 50s and has happened before, but I suppose this one is in the news.

It has to be demonstrated that the couple were  already planning to get married, that is to say they had started the advance formalities.

It formalises the date of the marriage to be on the eve of the death and opens the way for the remaining spouse to start legal proceedings with a view to obtain damages after the unlawful death of the dead spouse and to obtain all the rights concerning pension etc...

Edit:

on reflection, is it any weirder than making babies with a dead husband's sperm? [blink]

Obviously, I'm not referring to WB's dead husband, nor his dead husband's sperm, and certainly NOT about WB's sperm.... [+o(]

It feels odd and wrong to me.......... and yet part of it feels as if it should happen as the child will get their father's name and the new wife the pension rights. I don't think that concubines and pac's etc count.

Don't get me wrong, I think showing paternity for the child is right. I'm all for that.

But the idea of an actual ceremony for a deceased person (other than a funeral) ifeels wrong. Having a funeral is final, it helps with closure. But to then have a "marriage" ... odd. What sort of emotions is that poor girl going to go through? It would be easier to have the a birth certificate ratified by special presidential permission than to go through some bizarre ceremony.

[quote user="Clair"]Obviously, I'm not referring to WB's dead husband, nor his dead husband's sperm, and certainly NOT about WB's sperm.... [+o(]
[/quote]

If you are referring to this WB, then I do not and never had a husband as I am a bloke and hetero, not gay, bisexual, sexual convert, transvestite, Christian beefeater or even Quillan's cousin.[:P]

And, as far as I know, unless it happened in my sleep or in some way that I will not mention on this forum which houses sensitive souls and Clair, my seed has always gone where it has supposed and has not been stocked in Pickfords or even under the local Boots counter in Llanferfechan!

But I do think it is an interesting rite and right in exceptional cases as it shows great respect and committment and protects one or the other partner.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

I'm sorry, but I can't get my head around this. Does this happen in other countries? It just strikes me as being, well... wrong

[/quote]

I know it happens in Hong Kong as well, but that's usually around giving the dead person spiritual freedom, as any betrothed person wouldn't have peace until the wedding had been performed.

In the circumstances it seems only right that the man's child is acknowledged and supported by whatever finance he was entitled to and of course equally the mother of his child since she would be expected to care for his child; so it is just one more legal hoop required to accommodate another legal hoop of entitlement.
Just one thing seems like it could be weird, how is the ceremony conducted in these circumstances and who makes the responses on behalf of the groom[8-)]

[quote user="just john "]Gosh Clair, I'm still impressed, you still are the fount of all knowledge, . . . (well, except how to resuscitate an aging breadmaker perhaps [:D])[/quote]

Gosh, JJ, a compliment and a rebuke all in one! [:D]

PS: for what it's worth, I maintain the bread-maker committed technical suicide... [Www]

Its younger, cheaper and more versatile replacement does a splendid and fragrant Easter bread! Just like hot-cross buns, without the bun part! [:P]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="just john "][:D])[/quote]

[:D]

PS: for what it's worth, I maintain the bread-maker committed technical suicide... [Www]
Its younger, cheaper and more versatile replacement does a splendid and fragrant Easter bread! Just like hot-cross buns, without the bun part! [:P]
[/quote]

So, your breadmaker is a sort of electronic toyboy who does it better, cheaper and longer without the possibility of a bun. Perhaps your recipe for success should be given to the ladies of the forum, and your apologies for murdering the aged bedmaker who seems to have shared your life for many years. Poor old chap, his loaves were no longer as firm, his kneading not so subtle, his ability to make the perfect stiff and crisp crust no longer reliable.

No £10 knickers for you, just old bread sacks and ashes!![6]