Taking Air Rifles to France

Hello Jon

Welcome to the forum.  I think you are incorrect re the license for the air riffle.  My Dad brought his air riffle over on the ferry and he had to hand it in at customs, where they put it on the boat and then he had to collect it from the French customs once docked.  He doesn't have any form of license.

Can you confirm the size of gun you are bringing over.

Dotty

We travelled in the car and used the Shuttle, in 2001.  At that time we were advised that weapons, including an air rifle, could be carried as long as they were declared in advance.  We were given a sticker for the windscreen to show that there were guns in the car. We kept the guns in the roofbox and the actions and ammo in the car, although there was no official requirement to keep them apart.  No-one asked to see them at any stage of the journey.  Things may have tightened up now of course.

At this end we were told no permit was required for the air rifle.  Even the .22 failed to raise a spark of interest although I made a point of declaring it to the gendarmerie.

Chrissie (81)

Thank you both for the information. I am planning on bringing one pre

charged pneumatic .22, one break barrel .22 and a break barrel .177

over. The place we are hoping to buy has lots of land and will be ideal

for me and my son to do a little target shooting. Eventually I plan on

getting a hunting licence but that will have to wait until my Frence is

better. I think to be honest I will take them over in the car and

declare them to the police in my new home town rather than customs but

we'll wait and see.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jon.  The law in France currently says to purchase an airgun over 10 joules (about 7 ft/lb) you have to be over 18.  Pretty much that's all.  It's difficult to get a permis de chasse because you have to do an intensive course before they'll grant you one, and it covers everything including what to shout when you're getting chased by a wild boar.   If you fancy a pop on your own land it might be easier to join a target club like a clay pigeon club.   Regs  Phil

"what to shout when you're getting chased by a wild boar"

I think it is Herodotus who advises people attached by a wild boar to lie down. The point being that their tusks are curved and therefore unable to stab you once prone. You might get a nasty stamping-on though.

What shape are the tusks of French boars?

I got charged yesterday, before I knew it I was lying down, but it wasnt intentional.  LOL

The tusks on french boars are curved up and outwards, & they use them well for defence. The females dont have the tusks, but still bite for defence.

We caught 2 yesterday and the third was accounted for by a rifle.

John I have a uk superten mk2 carbine vgc for sale. If you know anyone interested.

Of course, they aren't all fierce. 

[img]http://www.hlasek.com/foto/sus_scrofa_6626.jpg[/img]

Apparently most run a mile (kilometre) from you if they can.  I'm told only mothers with piglets nearby or those trapped are likely to attack, though I have never put this to the test as I have only ever seen their tracks and routeways in the forest.