Astronomy Newbie

moonbus53

Can anyone out there help - I've just bought my other half a much wanted telescope for his 50th but he will probably need a little help and guidance as he is a complete novice.

We are near St Jean D'Angely (17) just now but will be going further south to Dordogne/Lot border are in April.

Any help would be appreciated. [:D]

Loads of websites out there about astronomy and not all of them require you to be a heavyweight mathmatician.  The NASA website is superb as is www.astronomy.com

One of the best things you can get (if you don't have it already) is a Sat Nav as it is essential that you know your exact position on the Earth's surface before you begin to find objects in the sky.  The next thing to get is a hat as it gets bloomin' cold in the middle of the night, even in summer, on a clear night.  Doubly so if, like me, you OH is follically challenged.

[quote user="moonbus53"]Can anyone out there help - I've just bought my other half a much wanted telescope for his 50th but he will probably need a little help and guidance as he is a complete novice.[/quote]

Try looking up at the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is plenty of information on the web if you google 'beginner astronony' or whatever and plenty of forums where you can ask questions e.g.

http://www.astrocentral.co.uk/

http://www.maidenhead-astro.net/beginner.htm

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/telescopes/messages

Getting to grips with a telescope can be a little daunting at first.  I never got past the experienced beginner stage myself but can help with setting the scope up etc.  PM me if you have any problems. 

Regards

Mr Cat

Another thing to consider is some planetarium software

(basically star maps on you computer).  There

are some really good Open Source and Freeware applications around.  Of course you can buy them or might have got

some free with the telescope (some manufactures do e.g. Celestron).  There are free programs around for many

platforms including Mac’s (so being non-Windoze is no excuse).  Interestingly some of the best is French

(with English versions available but written by French people) – e.g. Cartes du

Ciel.

I find them exceptionally useful as you can print out time

specific star maps.  A few weeks ago I

could not locate a star I had to find because I could not sort out its

constellation.  Went inside (losing

night vision), checked on my planetarium software and there was a planet in the

middle of the constellation which was messing-up the layout of everything.  Once I knew where the planet was I found it

fine.  That is something that printed

star charts (e.g. Norton’s) do not include (Planet positions).

Another thing he might find helpful from the forums is

“expectations” – what he can expect to see. 

Many beginners tend to look through their new telescopes expecting to

see beautiful red clouds, or for Jupiter’s red spot to be massive.  Some things are quite difficult to see even

when pointing the telescope directly at them. 

apart from the fact I find them boring, I have great difficulty

recognising Open Clusters.  Globular

clusters are easier (and more fun).  For

a lot of deep space stuff high magnifications are a waste of time.  You can see M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy) with

the naked eye (better and clearer and see more through a telescope at low

magnification though).

Sorry – I’ve waffled-on excessively.

Ian

[quote user="moonbus53"]Thanks to all for all the advice, websites and comments - even the cheeky one (it made me chuckle).

All we need now is a clear night - it has been cloudy every night since the thing arrived - then he can get started!

Moonbus
[/quote]

Ah - that's where the Cloudy Nights website comes in :http://www.cloudynights.com/

Seriously - you can learn a lot from reading other peoples experiences and what to buy and not buy!

Clear skies

Mr Cat