Re: The France Show 2009

I went for the first time many years ago when it was in it's infancy and then called "Vive La France "- a much better name than the "France show". It was probably around the same time as this Forum started and I had a great time.

I returned a couple of years later and didn't enjoy it as it was terribly crowded, very hot, far too many pushy estate agents, middle class twits quaffing wine as if they knew what they were talking about, (LF frorum members excepted of course [:)]) and  and food was extortionately priced. However it is a great taste of France for those who want to discover different regions under the same roof . Here's a link to comments on last years show.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/866722/ShowPost.aspx#866722

[quote user="Punch"]

I went for the first time many years ago when it was in it's infancy and then called "Vive La France "- a much better name than the "France show". It was probably around the same time as this Forum started and I had a great time.

I returned a couple of years later and didn't enjoy it as it was terribly crowded, very hot, far too many pushy estate agents, middle class twits quaffing wine as if they knew what they were talking about, and food was extortionately priced.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/866722/ShowPost.aspx#866722

Are you sure that you didnt to the England show by mistake [6]

Joking apart that was my exact impression as well but when I went it was still "Vive La France" I remember that they were offering absinthe tastings on a converted London bus with a resuscitation team on hand, no joking!

[/quote]

Anybody else remember the very early days of an earlier version of this forum, where a group of us gatecrashed the Living France stand at Vive la France, nicked their wine (though they didn't have a corkscrew?) and had a generally great time - including going all the way through the Loire wine tasting course with relish, more than once, or maybe that's my memory playing tricks? I think almost everybody else from that event - with the exception of Judie (now a 'pushy estate agent', Punch) and me - has moved on or been banned, but we are still in touch with many of them. It was certainly a much bigger event then.

[quote user="Will"]Anybody else remember the very early days of an earlier version of this forum, where a group of us gatecrashed the Living France stand at Vive la France, nicked their wine (though they didn't have a corkscrew?) and had a generally great time - including going all the way through the Loire wine tasting course with relish, more than once, or maybe that's my memory playing tricks? I think almost everybody else from that event - with the exception of Judie (now a 'pushy estate agent', Punch) and me - has moved on or been banned, but we are still in touch with many of them. It was certainly a much bigger event then.[/quote]

Hi Will,

Im glad you all enjoyed the wine [;-)] There'll be more where that came from at the 2009 show!

As well as the wine tasting we are also putting on:

• Jean-Christophe Novelli’s Restaurant
  • Music Stage - Live Music, Dancing and Entertainment
  • Champagne and Oyster Bar
  • Travel Activity Centre
  • Wine Tasting
  • Live Cookery Demonstrations by Top Chefs including Jean-Christophe Novelli
  • The UK’s Largest Exhibition of French Property
  • Property Buying Seminars
  • Holiday Ideas and Travel Seminars
  • Language Product Demonstrations and Seminars
  • Fashion, Art, Shopping, Can Can Dancers, Showgirls
And much, much more!

By the way, last year we got over 30,000 people! :)

Thanks,

Chris

The ubiquitous 'got' speaks buckets (sic). Does it mean had through the gates, caught, netted, took advantage of, rounded up from the dole queues and forced to come and drink plonk, took cart loads of money off, played for suckers, ripped offgave a good time to, apologized to.................

I could go on but the bolts for the shutters don't fit so I have to get more and it is lunchtime and they are shut so I'll have to eat something. Which means spending money which makes me weep....................

[quote user="Punch"]

I went for the first time many years ago when it

was in it's infancy and then called "Vive La France "- a much better

name than the "France show".

[/quote]

Yeah, but in those days people interested in France knew what "Vive La France" meant. [:P]

Nowadays, it seems, the language needs to be a little more... obvious. [6]

ps to Chriszz:

Good luck with the show and ignore us - those responding so far are generally not your target market. [:D]

pps: isn't it Francophiles ?

JR the native, the 'had over' is also a worry. Over what? A barrel, the desk, a recumbent football supporter who strayed in thinking it was a fanclub do for Spurs. 'Had' as in ripped off goes back to got whereas 'had' in the nice sense means picking out all the nice young ones and offering them private tastings, which is unlikely in that setting as most are potential retirement couples the females of which breed tend to be a bit on the matronly side, though might not be averse to trying the recipe for saucisse de Toulouse if the chef is a bit virbant! So, what does go on at these shows then. Sounds like an NUT do in the dark end of Genoa or Marsales (and believe me, that is dark).