Archery rules in France

Lyza

I have a small field and we have home made bows and crossbows - no eyebrows have been raised by the natives. We do make sure not to hit them. We are in the woods - depends where you are in the centre of a village I could see people worrying. The guns laws seem relaxed to me so I suppose they are fairly similar to any potential dangerous projectile firing device.

I almost wanted the title of this thread to read 'Archery Rules in France - OK!!'

I don't want to come over all Nanny but I just felt I had to point out some safety aspects and please excuse me if you too are an experienced archer and know this stuff.

An arrow shot from a modern bow has roughly the same energy as a small pistol bullet.  Without even trying, a mis-shot arrow can fly a kilometre or more. For these and other reasons, club shooting is strictly regulated by FITA including where you can shoot, overshoot areas, fenced off areas , warning signs and so on.  This might seem like overkill (sorry about the unintentional pun) but the result is a very safe sport.

As for the legal standing about shooting on your own ground I am by no means certain, sorry.  Have I done it? yes. Taking elementry care and placing your target where a miss would have no consequences (ie not in front of a road or other people's houses/gardens) and shooting within your caperbilities and taking care that people/pets/cows etc can't wander into your shooting line I personally don't see a problem.

If you want to take it a bit more seriously, drop me an email saying whereabouts you are and I'll find your local clubs.  It is a very popular sport in France but clubs always want new members [:)]

The basic rule is to ensure when your wife balances the apple on her head[:-))] that you have insurance cover.[I]....as exploding apples are dangerous to the environment.

Seriously any sport where you are sending objects at high speed via bows,gun barrelss etc are lethal if no care used.

Think twice shoot once and do not drink beforehand....

from an amateur toxophilist.