Anyone following Le Tour this year?

I'm currently watching it in the UK but we'll be in France for around 6 weeks from this coming Sunday. Just as well I got my TV/satellite sorted out a few weeks ago.

Cavendish broke his duck today and he was so emotional.

How about Geraint Thomas. He's on a high at the moment.

Can't wait for the mountains though.

You bet I'm following it, Derek.

Follow it every year and went to Cognac a couple of years ago to follow the time trials and collect all the freebies.

If time permits, might go to Bordeaux to see them though they'd only be taking the train from there.  Why not go and look on the Qui veut papoter thread and you'd hear us talk about les cyclistes?

[quote user="sweet 17"]Why not go and look on the Qui veut papoter thread and you'd hear us talk about les cyclistes?[/quote]

I had a look in that thread Sweet.....  too much talk about buttocks I fear.[:D]

I've only actually seen Le Tour live once... when it came through Basingstoke when I was working there.

All the offices were out on the roundabouts and traffic islands. The peleton came through so quickly it was quite amazing.  TV doesn't do justice to how fast these guys are.  Amazing athletes. Tough as old boots.

On Wenesday evening I wondered whether Cav was going to win anything this year.

Last year HTC Columbia used the whole team to support Cav winning the sprints but this year he does not have all 8 in front - some of them seem to be there for GC contenders.

No chance of Green IMHO but great to see him back near his best.

John

We are certainly hooked on it since watching it  last year for the first time on Eurosport HD

Cav ain't so good on the hills, but the ones who are are spectacular! Young Andy Schleck was incredible yesterday! What a finish and Evans now done up like a canary!! Or is that a flying banana! 2 Aussie wins yesterday weren't there if you include Silverstone!

This is a cracking site if you haven't yet found it? http://www.letour.fr/us/index.html  The Live Timing gives the position on the stage in the form of the profile and if the riders saw that then they would probably call a taxi instead! All the gen's there..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised this thread hasn't had more post for a while.

Well, it's over now, Andy Schleck rode a magnificent race only to be denied when Cantador took advantage of a mechanical failure.

Mark Cavendish had some superb sprints and stage wins, could have got Green if it hadn't been for a crash in the early stages, his fault he admits but that's they way of the Tour.  He could do with some training in speaking to the press, he comes over as being unable to put 2 words together, I'm sure he isn't thick but in these days of media coverage it's as well to be able to present a good image.

Best quote I heard was on ITV4 yesterday between the 2 presenters (sorry, don't know their names)

1:   M C is the best sprinter of this decade!

2: Best in this decade?

1: Yes, I would go so far as to say not only this decade but this century!

We were watching it and glad in a way that it's over because now we can get on with what we are supposed to be doing in the afternoons!!

As for not being able to string 2 words together? After cycling 200K at average speeds of about 40 kph I wouldn't be able to string 2 letters together a few moments after falling off the saddle! A fantastic achievement for him and I think that he is a really good ambassador for the U.K.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Best quote I heard was on ITV4 yesterday between the 2 presenters (sorry, don't know their names)

1:   M C is the best sprinter of this decade!

2: Best in this decade?

1: Yes, I would go so far as to say not only this decade but this century!

[/quote]

Phil Liggett & Paul Sherwin are good commentators, but during several hours of continuous 'talk', the odd faux pas can creep in.  The other day, the riders were passing through somewhere or other, where Sherwin said that pastis was invented. He then said something along the lines of "It's an aperitif, taken with water, a little bit like Pernod".

• 1 month later...
I have to admit that I never really understood road bikes and riding. I always enjoyed mountain bikes. However, I have been transformed this year. In an effort to get fit before I get too old, I started going out on the mountain bike, but areas to cycle on tracks are a bit limited, and repeating the same tracks can become a bit boring. In August, we happened to stay in the Pyrenees, and on the way home, travelled along (up) the legendary Tour de France route, the Col du Tourmalet. It is a beautiful piece of France, and you could only admire the cyclists pounding up the relentlessly steep road. When I got home, I tried a road bike and am hooked. The best part is that you have an infinite variety of local routes to try. I guess the downside is that roads are sometimes more dangerous. However, since the Tour came to England, the number of cyclists on the road has increased dramatically, and so drivers tend to be more expecting than in the past.

I am looking forward to the Tout of Britain which starts soon.

We got hooked on Le Tour (don't get it mixed up with la Tour 'cause that's the copy of the Blackpool Tower in Paris) last year. Up till then it was just a bunch of maniacs with nowt to do rushing slowly around France on bikes.

Boy, were we ever wrong! How those guys just keep on pounding those pedals for 200Km, up hill, down dale, is astounding. Also the peloton is a beast in its self. It lets a few guys break away just as long as it doesn't hurt one of the peloton  guys position in the overall standings, the General Category, and if it does then they just up the combined power and cut it back into its self again. Also, the coverage of Le Tour shows some wonderful sights of the different parts of France and on Eurosport the commentators have such a wealth of knowledge of the places visited (OK, it's scripted for them a lot of the time, but!)

At the moment we are watching the La Vuelta a Espania which is the Spanish Le Tour. Great spectacle again, but the coverage from the Spanish is not as good as the French version. The official web site is not as good either and for me to admit that something is not as good as a French web site is something new! As a matterof interest. Andy Schlec was binned out of the race today because of a boozy night out in a night club last night it would appear??? Fancy, the thought of almost 200k on a bike with a bleedin hangover![:-))][:-))][+o(]

That out of it. Those guys have my admiration. For out and out stamina and determination I can't think of another sport that comes near?

It's great to hear that you guys are hooked. I've been a keen cyclist in UK (club level) for over 35 years, mainly in time trialling, but I did some road racing earlier on. The attitude towards cyclists here in France is vastly different; we are given much more room and respect. I think it's mainly due to the fact that most people here have ridden bikes at one time or another or still do, and of course there's generally less traffic. I've made a point of riding many of the Tour climbs, including Tourmalet and Alpe d'Huez. I still am in awe of the pros who ride these climbs after a full day's racing.

I still have my road bike but don't get out as often now as I have other conflicting (time-wise) interests. I have a VTT too and use this more often on the "cemins communals".

I'm waiting to see whether the Tour comes our way in 2011.

I've just finished reading "Les Anges Bleus du Tour". This was lent to me by a keen cyclist in the village; it's a large format book all about the history of the Gendarme squadron (Edit: the squadron which accompanies the Tour every year), so for me is double interest, motorcycling and cycling! It tells how the motorcycle squad was developed, which bikes they used and so on. With some fantastic photos it's beena great read and I must try and get a copy. Amazon.fr I think!

Vive le Tour!

Sid

Since starting this thread I never got chance to post back on it as we went to our French house midway through Le Tour. Fortunately, we were able to continue watching it over there. I say "fortunately" but really I should have been doing other things but I was totally hooked.  As previous posters have said... the ability of these riders is amazing. Day after day of massive distances, often mind blowings ascents.

I bought a road bike at the end of last year and have been trying to build up my distances and work on my hill climbing ability.  So far I've lost around 12 lbs in weight and I'm feeling better for it.  I want to do the odd sportive soon. We took our hybrids to France and that was good fun and the traffic so light that it made it much more pleasant.