Contador, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, have you been a naughty boy?

Because some medic in their team, being paid mega-money to seek out the best dope and dope-detection avoiding techniques, tells them that it'll be OK.

But you knew the answer just as well as I did.

The problem is that in professional cycling (& rowing + other endurance sports), there might sadly be another tragedy, as with Tommy Simpson 40+ yrs ago. Other sports, such as athletics (well ok, not distance running) can 'get away with it' in terms of immediate health issues. 

• 3 months later...
This sorry saga is still dragging on.  It looks like he has got a 1 year ban and will be stripped of last years TdeF win, which will go to Andy Schleck.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/news/uci-clarifies-that-one-year-ban-for-contador-is-not-definitive_157307

Contador is complaining and pleading his innocence. His new team manager, Bjarne Riis is backing him but that doesn't hold much credility as he was a proven doper.

The UCI and the Spanish authorities are still messing around.  The normal ban would be for 2 years.  So why 1 year...

A 1 year ban helps Contador as far as earning go. If it had had been 2 years the rules say he would have had to pay back around 70% of last years earnings... several million Euros.

I'm a big cycling fan and all this saddens me greatly.

Unfortunately it's not just cycling; other sports, including football, have had issues at one time or another. I don't see how anyone can "get away with it" healthwise whatever the sport; the risks are there when you take any performance enhancer.

The only way to fight this, in my opinion, is to rigorously enforce lifetime bans. The authorities/governing bodies must show that they are serious about stamping it out.

Agreed... if the UCI and WADA want to really attack this problem then lifetime bans have to become the penalty.

As to the TdeF Schleck chain off incident and Contador's reaction I'm still undecided on where I stand with this.  I would have been more comfortable had Contador waited but I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that. The convention for this type of incident doesn't seem to be that straightforward.

If Contador is stripped of his Tour de France title for 2010, as seems likely, I've no doubt that it will pale into insignificance if a certain other, more well known, winner finds himself in the same position. Personally I won't be sorry, but I'm sure that Tour de France will survive in spite of any bad publicity, and, as another poster says, it almost certainly goes on in many other sports but they chose to turn a blind eye.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1180944/1/index.htm

Brian (again)