What do you think of this ?

Bob,

I am not sure about that at all ! I think the risk of a catastrophic failure is more likely parapenting.

But then I am not an expert in parapenting, but am in diving.

When you dive you can have a good level of redundancy most people that dive do so in a pair.

The bends or splatting in to the earth either way both aren't fun !

Had no diving accidents in 100 + dives to date and hope never to have even the slighest one.

I did papapente once in Merida Venezuela and had a horrific accident during take off, well not that you can call being dragged down a mountain by the parachute as the wind reversed with the full weight of the instructor on top of me , crashing through ever thickening bushes, then thickets culminating in hitting head on and snapping quite a thick young tree with my thigh a take off!

It was all his fault (honest) he told me in broken English/Spanish to run, run, run and whatever I did not to stop unless he said STOP!

The first part was quite a steep slope but we could have stopped if needed, the wind was reversing all the time and we were in the cloud level, then came the point of no return where it became much steeper, he was shouting RUN, RUN, RUN! and then at the critical point shouted NO! - STOP! So I did with the results as above.

We had a flight I will never forget as the combination of euphoria once we were finally airborne, adrenaline and the endorphines countering the pain put me on such a high that I actually wanted to remove my harness and fly with the birds which freaked the instructor more than the take off.

We needed to hit the ground running for the landing (it was a concrete runway) but my injuries meant that my leg folded so we both got a bit further scuffed, I was not able to walk at all initially and partial recovery took a couple of weeks, I filled the time by enrolling in a language school for an intensive course in Spanish, during my favorite type of total immersion (on the pillow) I learnt that "No stop!" means Dont stop! [;-)]

Parapente is definitely something that I cant wait to do again.

I have not had a diving accident either, but there were others that did at Fort Bovisand while I was there.

In 16 years of microlighting with well over 1500 flying hours logged, I have never had an accident or even a near accident.

The big difference is that you have to plan trips and boats for diving, while I can pull the microlight out of the hangar and go flying without any prior arrangements. For me the flying feels much safer. I also feel that there is much more of a thrill in taking to the air in any open flying machine.