Does anyone here understand gun ownership laws in France?

Perhaps the person who told you this was referring to shooting with the chasse. If so, there's an exam to be taken, and a practical exam too. It's all in french. You can buy the book with all the things you should know from your local Fed. de Chasse.

Husband tried this, but didn't pass the exam (I was relieved!)

But he could have bought a gun, as far as I remember. I don't think you can even shoot on your own land (????) without being a member of a club.

Also, there are are other clubs like clay pigeon and indoor targets which might be easier to get into - don't know for sure.

[quote user="WyntonSmith"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Tell us roughly where you are Mr Smith (apart from Room 101 that is[Www])  [/quote]

Hi, thanks for the info so far. I wasn't thinking of hunting as such. Targets would be great. I'm just outside Saint Junien (87).

[/quote] Wynton, PM me. My club is in Saint Junien. Come on down! For the record, I've been through the entire gun owning process here and have written an ebook - 'Gun Ownership and Shooting in France'. Anyone else interested, please PM me too.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm told it's very difficult to get a gun licence here in France and that they have strict rules about joining gun clubs. Can anyone enlighten me?

Hi Wynton,

It is not particularly difficult to get a target shooting license in France.

You need to know what sort of disciplines you are interested in, then go along to your local club which you can find here with the club finder:

http://www.fftir.org/

You can also find out about the different disciplines on that site.

I suggest you then look for the clubs website which can sometimes be hard to find - try googling "societe du tir (ville xxx)" or "stand du tir (ville xxx)". This will give you opening times, range facilities/disciplines etc.

Pistol ownership is a more involved process than rifle ownership, and rifles in military calibres such as the popular .308win are even more hassle - but no worse than any other country.

If you need more advice or info get back to me. I have an FFTIR license and a Permis de Chasse.

Bob.

Hi

To add to Bob's post - a friend joined a clay shooting club by going along with his UK gun licence and was enrolled and insured and can now shoot at any of the ball trap events.

To join in the chasse I understand it is necessary to take a written exam in French.

Target shooting clubs exist and again it is necessary to go along and register.

Any good gun shop should be able to give you advice. 

WendyG

For those who have been trying to PM me, I think the messages are not coming through. In a nutshell, the system is relatively easy but you do need a little patience. You need to join a local club de Tir and then get three stamps in your carnet which takes six months. Then you can buy just about anything. But you can also own other weapons while waiting for your stamps. I decided to write all this down in a short ebook which you can find here http://www.alanpearce.com/gun/

Good luck and best wishes,

Alan

[quote user="Kitty"]Does the book cover how to transfer a shot gun (licenced and looked after properly in a gun cabinet etc) from the UK to France?

[/quote]

I brought another shotgun over from UK earlier this year, not a problem to add it to a French license unless it is a pump action.

To get a French license you will still need to go down the target/clay shooting route, or the hunting route - depending on your intended use.

Bob

Hi Everyone

I have just bought a farmhouse in lower Normandy and although I have no plans as yet to live there I will be spending as much time as possible in France. I have three English Springers that I use for beating here in the UK and I wanted to know if there is much, if any pheshant shooting in France ? If there is, do you think I would be welcomed on a shoot ? I would not want any pay, maybe a brace of birds for my trouble, it's more about working the dogs for me.

Thanks Matt