Canoes banned from the Dordogne

Thanks for that Crabtree I had wondered how far it extended.

I realised it was a safety measure although looking at it I can't see how anyone in their right mind would venture out in a canoe, I noticed this morning that it has risen a little more since Sunday.

Hoddy

I am hoping within the next couple of weeks to do a 4 day 126km kayak journey on the river Somme to the sea but then I have never been of sound mind. [:P]

The canal and canalised river sections should be OK, I think the excess flow is sent over the barrages to the parallel lakes and river, at the moment the major concern is the automatic unmanned lock on the canal du Nord which is only really suitable for commercial traffic and will need a grappling hook to get out of if it doesnt work.

I will keep an eye on the level though especially as we had planned to use some of the river sections where they do rafting etc.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I am hoping within the next couple of weeks to do a 4 day 126km kayak journey on the river Somme to the sea but then I have never been of sound mind. [:P]

The canal and canalised river sections should be OK, I think the excess flow is sent over the barrages to the parallel lakes and river, at the moment the major concern is the automatic unmanned lock on the canal du Nord which is only really suitable for commercial traffic and will need a grappling hook to get out of if it doesnt work.

I will keep an eye on the level though especially as we had planned to use some of the river sections where they do rafting etc.

[/quote]

Enjoy Chancer and come back to tell the tails....we swam in the river Aveyron last week (more as a Commando fully clothed exercise than for pleasure), I took our daughter's boyfriend after a long day work in the garden on the last day of sunshine (Monday last week) .... it nearly took his breath away. Water was much faster than normal and pretty deep but fun was had by all.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Well that's hardly a challenge, after all, it's downhill all the way [:P]

Seriously though, best of luck with that, it's one of the things I want 'to get round to' one day but then, so are many other things.

Only just downhill though, only a fall of 80m from its source all the way to the sea, still at least there are only one set of rapids.

I have wanted to do it since my 50th but could never find anyone here that shared my passion, they were all looking for obstacles, wanting to monter un dossier over several years etc, far away from my just do it mentality.

Then I met a very unfrench doctor at the hospital who is a kayaker, the idea clicked with him, we went out once to get the measure of each other and it was decided, when we set off will only be the 4th time we will have ever seen each other, he rang me briefly in the week to say he was on the Compostelle with his brother and we found that we have but one period free amongst us so the date was decided there and then.

Each of us is responsible for our own planning equipment and provisions, they will arrive at my place and off we go.

Dunno how much canoeing you've done Chancer, but don't expect much white-water stuff. If you're camping there are a couple of waterside sites along the route.

You'll probably find the hardest bit battling the wind after the barrage at St Valéry sur Somme!

Didnt find any sites that could be accessed from the canal or canalised river, at least not in the localities of the overnight stops so I have scoped out a couple of places where we can rough camp without hopefully upsetting anyone, I have cycled the routes and these places were surprisingly difficult to find without trespassing on private property, not that anyone else seems to concern themselves about that.

Just back from another session, the relatively mild wind today caused me enough problems, I am now resigned to having to fit the rudder.

Think you've missed an golden opportunity there Chancer!

Did you consider making it a "Sponsored Paddle"? Bit of local newspaper coverage, sponsorship for the Doctor's hospital or another

charity, pictures of participants, mention of your own disability, etc.