Right of Entry to Property

CSV

Having recently had a letter from the TV licence man, to say that he had called and we were not at home, got me to thinking that I have no idea who is legally entitled to access to our house.

Does anyone know?

Specific to TVs.

If they have detected a TV in your house (can they do it?) which they reckon is unlicenced, then they would want to come back, presumably. But as you have had warning, if you do have an undelcared one, then you could move it.

I am a bit surprised they don't have a right of entry though.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Specific to TVs.

If they have detected a TV in your house (can they do it?) which they reckon is unlicenced, then they would want to come back, presumably. But as you have had warning, if you do have an undelcared one, then you could move it.

I am a bit surprised they don't have a right of entry though.[/quote]

Strange but true!

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/search.app?q=do%20you%20have%20right%20of%20entry%3F

[quote user="woolybanana"]Somehow, my addlepated brain supposed that the enquiry was about France.[/quote]

Since the post is on France Forum and in the section "French Legal Issues" one would be right to assume it related to France. Why would anyone assume it related to the UK?

If it makes you all happy, they can't come into your house in France either. [url]http://www.droitissimo.com/forum/impots/resolu-redevance-tv-enqueteurs-impots-ou-tresor-ont-droit-d-entrer-chez-moi-me-controler[/url]

The equivalent of the TV licence in France is La contribution à l'audiovisuel public  and  lepaiement commun est effectué avec la taxe d'habitation, so administered by Les Impôts

This makes the OP most likely to be applicable to the UK as there is no similar detection system in France.

There are checks however.  A friend of mine was asked to pay up as she had a triple-play Internet abbonement, but had declared that she had no TV

For those of you who assumed that as this is a French Forum, French Legal Issues etc.... - Yes it is about France

I've dealt with the ones in the UK before and just wanted to know if the situation is the same here.

Also, if there are any others who have right of access - France is after all a different (in many ways) country [:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]The link provided by gardengirl related to the UK[/quote]So why did GG think it wasn't about France?  Mind you it is quite easy to jump to the wrong conclusion about some posts[:)]

I don't have a tv so I don't pay the redevance. Towards the end of last year I had a visit from an inspecteur from the impots who showed me his ID, explained why he was there and asked if he could verify that I have no tv. I saw no reason not to let him in, he had a quick look round the living room and agreed I didn't have one, then he produced a form which we both signed to confirm, and that was that. He was perfectly pleasant. Presumably if I hadn't let him in there would have been some kind of follow-up, so it seemed sensible to get it sorted on the spot, why would you not.

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="woolybanana"]The link provided by gardengirl related to the UK[/quote]So why did GG think it wasn't about France?  Mind you it is quite easy to jump to the wrong conclusion about some posts[:)][/quote]

As I knew that TV is included in the taxe d'habitation, I assumed the question must be about UK - sorry, got it wrong! I should think penalties would be severe in France, as you have to opt out of paying that part of taxe d'habitation each year - we have had to each year so far, anyway.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]I don't have a tv so I don't pay the redevance. Towards the end of last year I had a visit from an inspecteur from the impots who showed me his ID, explained why he was there and asked if he could verify that I have no tv. I saw no reason not to let him in, he had a quick look round the living room and agreed I didn't have one, then he produced a form which we both signed to confirm, and that was that. He was perfectly pleasant. Presumably if I hadn't let him in there would have been some kind of follow-up, so it seemed sensible to get it sorted on the spot, why would you not.[/quote]

I will answer that for myself as a non redevance payer.

Why not? - Because if I had let him in he would have seen my TV and then we would be into semantics about my truthfull declaration that there was no TV in the property on 1st Jan, I took it to the UK with me for a new year break [:D]

As it was he just left an avis de passage as I was having une grasse matinée and didnt have a doorbell.

I had no follow up but then I hadnt refused to let him in.

Will have lots of TV licenses to pay for this year [:(]