Evergreen hedge NOT laurel!

Athene

Hi!

I am looking for some advice on a hedge to hide next door's bungalow. It is about 200 metres away, so this will not be that close to be a problem for either property. I considered Leylandii but wondered whether they would grow in the rocky soil of SW France where the summers are hot? I saw some attractive yellowy coloured conifers called Lemon Scented Cyprus which could grow to 30 feet but only attained 30 inches wide! I have had years of having Laurel hedges in Essex so I do not want these again!

Also please can you tell me whether it would be cheaper to buy these in France as the lovely tree nursery that we have already used in Corme Royale near Royan is superb but much more expensive that the UK!

Any thought or suggestions would be welcome!

Athene

Hi Athene, Our neighbours pavillion is about the same distance, I tried Laurel but every one on that border died, whereas others have done well, so I've replaced them with Pyracantha. They are romping off but it's still going to be 3 years I reckon before it all knits together, and more years to get the height I want them.

If you want a really quick screen though it's probably going to have to be Lleylandii. Nothing beats it for speed, but you really have to keep on top of the trimming don't you?. As to soil I see Lleylandii everywhere here, (about 10k n/east of Saintes), and there's a wide variety of soils. I'm a bit short of time tonight but will check out the big gardening books in the morning.

That is an amazing nursery at Corme Royale, but like you I think it's expensive, especially for shrubs. Have you looked at Jardiland or similar?

tresco

We have an aliagnus, elliagnus......... sorry no idea as to how you spell it. It is perfumed at certain times of year. Can grow big and thick or be cut back when young to be small. It doesn't mind the very cold or very hot weather either and it said on the pamphlet we got with it that it doesn't mind pollution, although I rather hope that there isn't too much of that around here.

Horticultural colleges often sell their plants and we usually go to them. We  find Jardiland tends to be expensive.

I'll second TU's vote for eleagnus (pronounced el-ee-ag-nus in English, el-ay-an-yoos in French, in case that's helpful).

In the rural Vendee, on a fairly rocky subsoil, we planted a hedge of eleagnus ebingii (eb-in-jee-eye in English - God knows what in French!). Within three or four years it grew to a very respectable, bushy hedge that would be six foot high by now (7 years on), and almost as thick, if it wasn't trimmed regularly a couple of times a year.  We bought the young plants for what my husband considered a very reasonable price (sorry, can't remember what!) at Jardiland, and planted at about 2-foot intervals. 

It's evergreen; the undersides of the leaves are a paler shade of green, which is pretty; it has tiny white flowers in autumn that are intensely fragrant.

I often see eleagnus in seaside locations, so it can obviously cope with salt conditions. We watered it diligently for the first season, but thereafter it has never complained of lack of water.

Angela (85)

Another vote for Eleagnus from me too, i've got some growing well here but my soil is not soils so much as solid, deep clay, not rocky.

Athene, the Lleylandii is quick growing, but you really need to trim it regularly, and as yours is a holiday home at the moment it may be that a more informal hedge, which does not need regular pruning, could be better for you.

You could have a mixed hedge of things like Eleagnus, Pyracantha, Cotoneaster (not the prostrate kinds that seem to be used in England as some sort of Municipal Litter Catchers), Choisya Ternata, some types of Privet (Ligustrum?), which can be trained to grow as a small, evergreen tree and Pittosporums. (but bear in mind, always try to get hedging plants which will suit your soil type).

Again, with it being a holiday home, you really need to plant well, and consider how to water and preserve moisture, in the first year at least, particularly if you are planting in Spring rather than Autumn. As you know, it's not just the sun in the Charente Maritime, its the strong westerlies- they can take every last bit of moisture from your plant above ground, when it's already struggling below in free draining soil.

tresco

Around here they pronounce the nus at the end of it, so it is elli ag noos. I love it, as was said only needed watering the first year and then it just needs cutting back. It even survived my pruning last year, plants and me usually don't get on, so I respectfully stay away from them.

You could try the Photinia (Red Robin). Grows quickly (up to 8 mts high) and is much more interesting than Laurel - the new growth has glossy dark red leaves. It's quite cheap - I think I paid about 7 euros per plant two years ago and it's growing really well, is bushy and very attractive. Plant just under a metre apart. You can always grow other shrubs inbetween for interest - Choisya grows at about the same rate.

Our neighbour's hedge is leylandii - personally, I can't stand the stuff as I have to cut so much down - but hers doesn't look too bad. It's trimmed to about 6 foot high and she has interspersed it with pyracantha.

During the autumn the garden centres and agri coops around here (16) sell mixed boxes of hedging. Very good value (around 11euros for a box of 8) but probably take some time to grow into a bushy hedge.

good luck.........helen

PS in some areas there are grants available for hedge planting.

Jeremy, is that because of the soil athene described? I did wonder, because they have always seemed very hungry plants to me, but I see them here verywhere.

If there's a doubt though, don't get 'em, there is nothing uglier in the garden than a sickly conifer, apart from a row of them.

tresco

[quote]Jeremy, is that because of the soil athene described? I did wonder, because they have always seemed very hungry plants to me, but I see them here verywhere. If there's a doubt though, don't get 'e...[/quote]

Thanks you all so much! What a wonderful site this is, I am so grateful!  Well I think the Elli agnus must be favourite and interspersed with some feature bushes for interest would be a great idea! We will have to protect the young trees though as we have Mountjack deer who come out of the forest at night and are not averse to a nibble of a tender young plant! (I am still talking about my proposed hedge! )

Thanks all!

Athene

[quote]Lleylandii would not survive , or would for a while, then would look awful if they got scorched by th ewinds.. Eleagnus would be a much better and nicer alternative, i agree. Spelling is terrible I...[/quote]

Yes Lleylandii is off the menu now I have your suggestions. It was just through sheer gardening ignorance that I was going to resort to them!

[quote]Another vote for Eleagnus from me too, i've got some growing well here but my soil is not soils so much as solid, deep clay, not rocky. Athene, the Lleylandii is quick growing, but you really need t...[/quote]

Yes I know what you mean about creeping Cotoneaster being a litter catcher! It is much favoured by our local swimming pool and always is a better resptacle than any bin in respect of the crisp packets and chocolate wrappers flung with mad abandon by the returning swimmers!