Purchasing a plot of land in France

SueP

We are in the process of purchasing a plot of land in the Dordogne for residential use.

We have appointed a notaire and they have just sent us some legal documents to look over and send back signed.

We are not fluent French speakers and feel that it is necessary to seek an French speaking solicitor to support us with this venture. We are finding this hard to find particularly in the Herefordshire and Bristol areas.

Can anybody recommend the best way forward for us?

A UK solicitor, even if they speak french will be of little use to you, in my opinion. There may be notaires in the UK, maybe the french embassy could help you find one.

Or contact the notaires.fr and ask them for a list of bilingual notaires.

I would urge the OP to investigate thoroughly that this plot of land for sale has all the relevent building permissions associated to it and can actually be constructable. The rules have changed over the past few years and less land is now zoned constructable whereas previously every man and his dog who had a piece of land would sell it for building on and people usually got permission. Never take it for granted that a Notaire and certainly not an immobilier have investigated the feasability of actually building on land they have for sale/are transacting as often they have not checked. I suggest for your peace of mind you check with the local Mairie for the commune where this land is for sale that it is fully constructable and not still classed as NC or agricultural and that there are no problems for the services to be installed especially water and electricity. I have friends in this village who bought plots of land less than 500m from the village centre back in the 80's and who have now been left with worthless plots of land that have been designated NC due to the reform of the POS.

Assuming the legal document is a compromise de vente then my experience is that once translated the document is very straightforward and easy to understand, BUT at the same time I agree absolutely with Val 2's post. The trick with a CdV is not what it says but much more what it does not say. Check what permissions are in place and what the land zoning allows.

We had friends who bought a small derelict house with barn attached and assumed there would be no problem in renovating and extending. Not only could they not extend into the barn, they could not legally live in the house because it was no longer considered a habitation. Most purchases are straightforward but better to be sure than regret afterwards.

Yes and there are some very unscrupulous people out there trying to offload just about anything they can to unsuspecting buyers. I am not suggesting the OP is being conned but we see and hear so many horror stories of purchasing property and land here in France when it comes to light too late to do anything about it and to be forewarned is to be forearmed as they say. A CU certificate awarded to a plot of land previously does not automatically mean it is still valid nor possible to re-instate either. If you need someone to read over the documents you have received, why not approach a local secondary school where they might have a french teacher or the french consulate in London to recommend someone living in the UK.

Welcome to the Forum Sue.

Please make sure that you understand all the processes involved in buying property in France before signing anything.

You are lucky in that the previous posters here all have considerable experience and knowledge of the system.

Your best bet is to find an English speaking Notaire (possibly in the UK as one suggestion above)

A solicitor has nothing to do with the matter and although some people appoint one for peace of mind it is a waste of money in terms of what  has to be done in France)

Some of the things that need to be done can only be done on the ground here, such as checking the various permissions spoken of in previous posts.

Caveat Emptor

I would also advise trying to get some form of independent valuation for the plot of land as values of undeveloped single home plots have plunged in recent years. Where I am a plot overlooking the Mediterranean with good views was unavailable six years ago, now a lot are coming on the market as long term owners look to sell and values have halved. 

[quote user="Loiseau"]Idun, the fairly large SW London solicitors' practice that I have used for the odd legal requirement I notice has a French-qualified notaire on its books. So I think it's not as unusual as all that.

Angela[/quote]

[:D] So won't that make them a french notaire who works in a UK solicitors office?[Www]

I would imagine that it was 'usual' in London to be able to find a notaire, but in most other parts of the country I can imagine that it would be far more difficult.

The OP needs to look at a lot really. Planning permission, access, not only for themselves, but if anyone else has rights of way, what other building work is proposed nearby, or actually on that land. And the notaire will not deal with any of this. That is not what they do, they are sort of glorified tax collectors, who are able to explain the legal terms on the forms.

I quite agree with the necessities expressed subsequently in the thread about the need to investigate on the ground. You absolutely need to be sure you CAN build on the land, live there, have all services etc.

But if the OP is still wanting a French-qualified notaire in the UK for some extra hand-holding over the official purchase process, and explanation of inheritance issues etc, they could google "french notaire bristol solicitors" and see a few possibilities. ( None appeared actually to be in Bristol, but there seem to be a few around.)

Angela

In your compromise make the purchase subject to being able to build exactly what you want. Remember this compromise is the main document, and you will be stuck with it.

Therefore put all the important items in it. For example, if you must finance the property, put that in and be as detailed as possible. Also, do NOT sign it until you have understood EVERY word and clause. Do not trust what someone says is ok.

I would want formal permission from the Marie and possibly the Battiments de France that you can construct the house you have in mind.