Hi all,

Help we are being over run with Japanese Knotweed, tried burning the stuff, spraying it, digging it up,but it just keeps coming back in force, any ideas on how to get rid of the damn stuff, it is slowly spreading across the garden

Any ideas gratefully recieved

Tony

Hi Tony

I've never had Japanese Knotweed, but I know it's got a very long root system, so burning the tops off won't work. Digging is a problem too because any scarp left will regenerate

Has the stuff you've been spraying Glypsophate based?. Theoretically that should work, as it travels down the roots and kills them, but it will kill anything else it comes into contact with.

I've got a big convolvulous problem breaking out here. It winds it's way up any other plant and eventually either strangles it, or simply smothers the leaves of the host plant. It's evil. My brother tells me that at Hampton Court they paint the top two leaves (once it's got going) with undiluted Glypsophate, using a tiny brush. This stops the host plant from getting the weedkiller on it.

It is incredibly tedious work, but perhaps you could try a variation on that theme.

"I'm sorry but the advice I have read regarging Japanese knot weed has involved moving house !! "

Don't shoot me but I have to agree !!

Otherwise - paint with undiluted glyphosate, burn with flame thrower, mow every day and burn the clippings - it MAY get tired and die but more likely will move to yr neighbour.

Best of luck anyway

Johnnot

Just dial up on google for some really good studies and solutions from institutions in the U.K

In the U.K it is forbidden to simply dump soil contaminated with 'Fallopia japonica' (I can't remember the spelling!) Every part of the plant can regenerate so special landfills are needed. The best answers include exhausting the plant through continual spraying or injecting direct with glyphosate, cutting but NOT WITH A BRUSHCUTTER !!! then burning thoroughly and wholesale removal of the contaminated terrain. It holds up many construction projects with its costly removal...

You can't bury this bad news I'm afraid as it will push through anything and tarmac is very soft indeed.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your help house is on the market, being sold with new Tarmac gardenand all expense black ground sheet,but in the really bad areas have poured Beton, looks really good glyphosphte have bought shares in as a present for new owners, and Stu(Ty) Have sent the soil to the UK as they have good recycling amenities for this beast.

On a serious note many thanks for all your advice,any ideas as to where the best place to buy glyphosphate is as have looked in all the garden centres, supermarkets ect, and ended up using my french neighbours stock of the stuff, if any of you need advice in building and carpentry please feel free to ask as I am better at that side than this gardening lark..........I thought gardening was meant to be stress free and relaxing,

Again many thanks

Tony

'any ideas as to where the best place to buy glyphosphate is as have looked in all the garden centres, supermarkets ect, '

Either, but it may not be called just 'Glyphosate'. Ours is called 'Prop'Sol Deserbant Glyphosate made by SEM. I'd recommend it, it's gone a long long way.

It's advised to use it in full sun, and when there is no rain due for a day or two.

'........I thought gardening was meant to be stress free and relaxing,'

Yes, that part comes later, once you have got on top of the bad things. Stress free relaxation, in gardening terms is achieved only by Constant Vigilance and death dealing by Decapitation, burning, poisoning and various forms of squashing.