With hubby in the UK and my 82 year old mum staying with me I decided to do some gardening so that on his return he'd be chuffed to bits with my progress.  So donning my Dr Martin boots and a rake I went into our field to rake up the long cut grass in a pile - when I thought I'd got most of it together I smugly thought I'd have a small fire!  What a huge mistake, after an extremely hot sunny day it took off... going completely out of control and before my eyes it began to quickly spread.  I ran to the house and screamed for my mum to help and continued screaming 'au secours' for our neighbour as I filled water container after water container and ran back and forth trying desperately to put it out, even stamping on the edges as it grew.  Eventually my neighbours wife arrived with a hose (we haven't bought one yet but it's now a priority) and with her help plus my dear ol' mum we girls eventually put the damn thing out. 

My face is now a deep shade of red, mostly through shame, I know it was the stupidest thing I could have done - I feel such an utter fool for being so dumb and I'll never attempt it ever again.  I just needed the chance to say please if you ever feel like doing the same thing - a word of warning - DON'T.

I've invited the neighbours over tonight to say 'thank you' and put a bottle of champagne in the fridge, it's the least I can do at the moment.

Trisha

In our area of 24, bonfires are stictly prohibited as the Mayor was quick to tell us when she dropped by a few weeks ago and apparently there is some ?national ordnance (may be Departmental though) during the canicule about lighting fires, smoking and the like within (I think) 200m of woods, heathland, open dry places and the like.

We live on the edge of a wood, very dry and very dangerous so for the time being we are either shredding the stuff we're cutting from the hedge and trees or taking it to the ?dechetterie.

Even after storms the floor of the wood which is under a very dense canopy, which I'm pleased to say we now own a large chunk of, is bone dry, lots of dry leaf mould and plenty of dry branches and stuff - a real catastrophe if any of that lot catches fire.

But try telling that to the farmers locally who are still happily lighting bonfires!

We live with the fear of fire every summer. Our house is surrounded by dense woodland which is tinder dry. All fires are interdit in most departments south of the Loire divide. Penalties are severe if you are deemed responsible for fire damage. Please folks do not even light barbecues. They are a considerable risk.

Last week a group of young people in central Spain went on a camping trip and decided to light a barbecue. They went off to visit a nearby cave whilst waiting for the barbecue to heat up. Sparks ignited dry woodland and quickly got out of control. The result of their stupidity was the death of 15 fireman and 12,000 hectares of valuable, rare woodland destroyed. All fire during hot dry weather is potentially lethal.

No you can't even consider lighting a match anywhere outside here.  Everything is dry as a bone.  The helicopters fly around the Mt. Ventoux every single day now to survey any possible problems.  I went out today to cut all the dried up grass/weeds on the property.  The least I can do to try to protect the property.  It was hot as hades out there too...

I still get very angry when I see people throwing their cigarettes out their car window in this type of environment.