**!!""** Rabbits

Racerbear02

The time has come, the little furry b*****ds have just stripped the bark off my newly planted fruit trees.

I need a lapinicide (rabbit poison) can anyone offer any suggestions that are effective without killing off the rest of the local fauna??

This is a serious request, apologies in advance to any rabbit lovers, but if you want to save them, you are welcome to come and trap them and take then home with you  :) 

There are no poisons that are Rabbit specific, the only poisons are anti coagulants which are used for Coypu and these are incredibly dangerous to other species that scavenge. You may not be too concerned about foxes (I don't know) but you would be putting many birds of prey at risk, plus of course cats, dogs, and squirrels (who will eat the same poisoned bait as rabbits) If you protect the trees with either chicken wire or something similar, ideally fixing it firmly in the ground and up to a height of about 1.25 metres you will stop both rabbits and roe deer from eating the bark or chewing the tops off. Once the trees have matured and got a good solid bark structure this will no longer be necessary.

Other than that you have 4 weeks left to find someone to shoot them.

Ahhh, the joys of country life,  Chris

• 2 weeks later...

do what  canadian farmers do

buy a .22 long  ammo rifle

sold anywhere

get a powerful torch

wait till nightime

light will 'freeze' them take aim-bam-goodbye doc- now say wassup-!

ps they are nice in a casserole too

if too squeamish to gut it

see local butcher

my personal record

30 in 2 hours with my good pointer dog helping- that was in ontario

Hi there, I planted 300 hornbeam hedging plants and then found I had a rabbit problem, i've been trying to get round the problem for three years. I have an air rifle and have shot three I tried sitting out side at night with a torch but found that they do not appear every night. I tried a product called Renidine which I soak used tea bags in and hang them on sticks it work but its been taken off the market. I also have a product called Rappit repair kit, it does not stop them attacking the plants but helps the plants to recover and grow stronger. This year i've saved all the drinks plastic bottles and put them round the base and thats stopped a lot of damage. And lastley we found a little kitten in our woodpile which we have discoved is a boy so I am going to feed him on raw meat with a big picture of a bunny in front of him.

JR

On a lighter note. Having sold a house near the bay of St Michel to a German chap, he wanted to know  about the water table and any damp problems.Having just had a torrential downpour as he was viewing the house,I pointed out how quickly the rain had drained away. A few days later I was talking to a farmer friend who lived opposite and mentioned that I'd never seen a rabbit in the area.His reply;" They can't swim, the water table is only 60cms.!!! The German bought the house.One thing I learnt, be careful what you put in writing!!

Regards.By St.Malo

Hello

You can no longer freely purchase a .22 rimfire rifle. The law changed last month. They are still cat 7 but are subject to a declaration and you need a licence from FFT, FFBT or a permis de chasse to buy one. You also need a licence to buy the ammo. The other thing to remember guns are not guided missiles and do need a certain amount of expertise. It is not very nice to wound animals.

Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...