Is it that strange re shallow rooted plants?

Linda

I am amazed that no one can give me any advice on shallow rooted plants to disguise a fossie!  Did the request sound so boring that no one was interested or is it such a strange thing to want/need to do?

Has no one ever needed to cover one over?

As before any advice will be most gratefully received.

Thanks LindaTongue Tied [:S]

Its not really peak gardening time - that part of my brain is still in hibernation !

What about a few, perhaps spreading, connifers ? underplanted with bulbs ?

All sorts of annuals probably fit the bill and probably something like London Pride - saxifrages etc

A bit more info, location for example would help.

Whatever is planted above a fosse is likely to be deprived of water and

nutrients, whereas round the discharge area it's very fertile. There will probably be some heat rising from the fosse. What

about some plants in large wide pots? Pat.

Thanks to you and the others for replying.  It has given me some ideas to research.  I like the idea of spreading conifers and underplanting.  I have also taken on board the advice re: dry area.  It is situated in a very open and sunny aspect all day.  IWe are in the commune of Chateau Chervix not far from Coussac Bonnival.  I have no idea how to reply to everyone so hope this email lands where it can be seen.

Any other ideas as spring draws near, will be gratefully received.

Linda

Hi all again,

As you have probably guessed I am not a knowledgeable gardener nor fossie expert, so I am very grateful for your replies.  I will have a look at the RHS website and try and do some reading before I am back out in March.  When I have looked through any gardening books, there appears to be plenty of info re: how hardy, size and care but not much about depth of roots.  Thanks again.

Linda

• 1 month later...