Possible refund of 'social charges' on investment income for S1 holders

parsnips

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue, thank you; no problem with your link at all[:D]

Tax form will be completed now and will also compose a letter to ask for the previous deductions back.  Will put in the 2012 figures as well even though they are now past the time for any claim to be honoured.  How could we have claimed by December last year when the judgement wasn't till February this year?

Having realised a large investment for a project (I realised approx half in 2013 and half in 2014), under the current regulations I will have a large (8000€+) "social charges" bill.

I am paying tax, etc in installments based on the 2013 bill.

Should I continue to pay those advance installments to include the "social charges" or do I risk not paying them and possibly receiving a 10% penalty for not paying up enough in advance if the refund isn't sorted out?

Or do I pay even less in the hope the "social charge" refund for 2013 will be paid by the time the tax is due as that refund will cover nearly half the likely income tax?

I believe the advice invariably is to pay upfront and then claim it back afterwards.

Nowadays, interest rates on deposits are so low that it's not as though you'd lose anything by hanging on to your money? 

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="parsnips"][quote user="Fittersmate"]Parsnips - Would be grateful if you would suggest where and on which form should we put the note asking for social charges not to be applied to foreign dividends and interest. Also which source would be the best to quote - ie. the one that they might take more notice of although they do seem very good at ignoring anything they don't like/understand.[/quote]

Hi,

The govt. has said an announcement will be made following the deliberations of the "Conseil d'Etat";  for now there's no rush as we have till 31/12/2015 to make back year claims.  If nothing is decided by the declaration deadline, I do intend to put a note in the" any other info " section of the declaration asking that in the light of the decision no CSG be applied to my dividends and interest , and once the avis is received I will claim back the CSG taken at source on LA, PEL etc.

Best quote at present is the govt's own notice on service public - which promises an update in due course;

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2329.xhtml

[/quote]

Hi,

There is a new notice on “service public” today:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2329.xhtml

The notice itself , and careful reading of this link on the notice ;

” décision du Conseil d’État du 17 avril 2015 ”

seem to say that the french have accepted that those affiliated to

non-french social security systems (like S1 holders) should not be

subjected to “social charges” on any of their investment income (whether

inside or outside France ). This would include not only UK dividends

and bank interest , but also social charges taken at source on Assurance

Vie and french taxable bank interest like PEL and taxable livrets.

Keep an eye on the service public link for further developements.