Toads

Lollie

Down, Alcazar, Down.

[img]http://www.piercesweb.com/individuals/dallins-pierce/pictures/3rd-bday2002/scoobie-doo.jpg[/img]

MX-5 is a great, fun drive.  Outright speed isn't everything.  I've had as much fun in an MX-5 as a Scooby or an Evo.

That was when I had proper cars. [:(]

[quote user="Cassis"]Down, Alcazar, Down.

[img]http://www.piercesweb.com/individuals/dallins-pierce/pictures/3rd-bday2002/scoobie-doo.jpg[/img]

MX-5 is a great, fun drive.  Outright speed isn't everything.  I've had as much fun in an MX-5 as a Scooby or an Evo.

That was when I had proper cars. [:(]
[/quote]

Just a thought [I] Dont have many these days [:D]

Did we all have 'proper' cars in that previous life before we came to France.

We had a Nissan 300 something and a plastic Ferrari ( Dino replica on aVW Chassis) red of course.

We now have a Citreon Xantia Estate useful for pulling the trailer and an ancient Nissan Micra useful for avoiding dents in car parks. Everyone parks miles from us [6]

Oh and of course we have a pile of sand and a cement mixer.

[quote user="Cassis"]Down, Alcazar, Down.

I've had as much fun in an MX-5 as a Scooby or an Evo.

[/quote]

Goodness, that must have been cramped..................oh, I see, you mean DRIVING one?[:$]

Just to get back to the orginal posting - about toads! I was helping out our neighbour, Gibert,  yesterday by working on the potato harvester, had to sort the potatoes from the earth that came up the belt. Suddenly found a toad in front of me - quickly scooped him up and deposited him over the side. I think I missed a few potatoes doing it, so don't tell Gilbert![Www]

P.S. It was b***dy hard work, and filthy dirty with all the dust.

I can imagine.  But try digging the blighters by hand! [:D]

I found some anti-sprouting agent in the village agric shop.  Cost 4€ and there's enough powder to do 400 kilos of potatoes if you're not silly with it.

Sorry - that was another thread but I can't remember where it was!

[quote user="Cassis"]I can imagine.  But try digging the blighters by hand! [:D]

I found some anti-sprouting agent in the village agric shop.  Cost 4€ and there's enough powder to do 400 kilos of potatoes if you're not silly with it.

Sorry - that was another thread but I can't remember where it was!
[/quote]

I have dug them by hand (only on a garden scale though), and agree with you. But Gilbert grows them commercially for the markets etc - the field we were on the other day was about 3.5 acres, and that is just his first field to be done! He measures in tons rather than kilos.[blink] As least I never have to buy a potato - just go to the barn and fill a bag when we need them.[:)]

Hi Mary, I presumed it had to be on rather a large scale if you were using a machine to do it!  It was just that I had only a few minutes earlier come in from the garden having spent a full morning hand digging spuds and Jude's reaction was "What the hell happened to you - don't you dare come in here!"  so the thought of having a machine rather tickled me! 

Then I started rambling as usual - the reference to dusting was not a tip so I hope you didn't think I was teaching granny to suck eggs etc! [:)]

EDIT I'm not calling you an old granny, either.  [:D]

Well if anyone is interested in the original thread,  the toads are happy in my garden and lettuces are doing well,  we followed the cute little mouse when it went walkabouts and promptly blocked the exit after it had gone out, so maybe the toads have taken it in?

Lollie

In my garden here in the Cher Valley south of Blois, I find big brown toads in the soil when I till the vegetable garden plots in the spring. I also see them nearer the house in summer. They have a way of scurrying around in little piles of dry leaves that makes enough noise so as to startle you when it is dark out. They also used to hiss at my dog before the poor old canine expired last spring. I'm glad to know the toads eat slugs and therefore are more than a curiosity in the garden. I will be careful about picking them up with my bare hands in the future.

Last spring a little pond just beyond my property was full of what I assumed were frogs for a week or too. I mentioned it to a French neighbor and she got a disgusted look on her face and said they were just toads doing their spawning. There were many dozens of them in a very small body of water. Then there were hundreds of tadpoles in the water.

I also find very small toads around my garden from time to time. They're not much bigger than a walnut. I think they live in and around the pipes that take rainwater from the gutters away from the house. Those must be dark, humid places.

Ken

Hi Lollie, just tell them that they are NOT cane toads and that there are other types that are supposed to be here and they do good. Let them see any you have, they may even get to like them.

Me I think they are lovely. Tell your Aussie guests to try kissing one and that it may just turn into a princess, the blokes that is!