Toads

Lollie

Hi

We seem to be increasing in population of toads in our garden,  how do we get rid?   We dont have a pond here so we are not encouraging them?   

Also can you buy mice traps here  as can only find poison in the shops?

Cant but a cat cos have rabbit and a dog.

Lollie  44

Why would you want to get rid of toads?  They do nothing but good in the garden, eating slugs and the like. Please leave them in peace!

Yes, you can get mice traps here.  The French are very big on traps. 

If you can't find them ask a neighbour - they are bound to know where

to get them locally.

Toads aren't the nicest looking things in the worlds but they are a net benefit for gardeners.  I know they don't look good and the toads in our garden seem to be the size of medium sized rocks but they don't do any harm.

And I'm sure Chris will confirm, they don't need ponds just damp conditions, usually somewhere fairly dark so they can wait for the food.

Mouse traps can be bought in most brico sheds ...........

Watch out if you have cats, though. They sometimes pick up a toad, get a mouthful of the toad venom from glands on its back, and are very very sick for a few hours (but I don't think it is usually fatal). Frothing at the mouth and lots of gooey saliva are 2 symptoms.[+o(] No, I'm not kidding - our old cat Dennis did just this last month and was ill for 24 hours.

M

I think the toxic nature of the substance used to "oil" toad skins is a bit over played sometimes, it's a fairly dumb cat that picks one up, let alone eats one, ours never do, they just sniff them. I handle toads (and salamanders) and providing you don't lick your hands there shouldn't be any reaction, if you do pick them up, do it from underneath, the backs worse.

They really are a rather useful creature to have around the garden, they eat a good quantity of slugs which can't be bad and don't cause any harm.

Out of interest, are they common toads or some other type that you have in your garden???

Chris

In spring they march across field and plain and road to the pond of their birth, risking all sorts of danger (like cars and tractors) have a month of mad sex then plod back to slug eating duties.  The spawn develop into tadpoles (as per frogs) then wander off to find munchies.

[quote user="Cassis"]In spring they march across field and plain and road to the pond of their birth, risking all sorts of danger (like cars and tractors) have a month of mad sex then plod back to slug eating duties.  The spawn develop into tadplols (as per frogs) then wander off to find munchies.
[/quote]

I never knew cars and tractors reproduced like that............[:D]

We have TWO toads, one large, bigger than a man's fist, and one likkle one, about the size of a walnut.

I look after both, providing shelter and moving them from danger, but always wear a gardening glove to pick them up............my old wife told me I'd get warts otherwise[:$]

The big one keeps trying to come INTO the house, .........wife is NOT amused[:D]

Alcazar

BTW: I had to buy mousetraps this visit. Sigh. I HATE killing things, but wife was having hysterics. Local Quincaillerie sold them to me, I asked for "Tap-souris". Stupid things are even more sensitive than in the UK, cue TWO going off as I put them down, fingers well away from the danger end.

Unfortunately, I then tried to train wife to set one, and she promptly let it off on my fingers. Ho ho, how we laughed[:'(]

I've always found the "humane traps" are best for catching mice (available form virtually all garden centres / bricos). When I first had mice to get rid of I got a traditional "kill them" type trap and caught nothing. They purchased a "humane" trap (because I then saw them) and started catching loads. When I have mice I put a few of the traps out and will generally catch one per night until suddenly I will start catching none - as I've removed all the mice.

Loads of fields to release the mice into where they can get on with their lives.

Ian

"In spring they march across field and plain and road to the pond of their birth, risking all sorts of danger "

But not the midwife toad, Phil, their reproductive act takes place on land, this is the one that lots of people, without a closer look, think is a small common toad.

Chris

Will look for the humane ones, as my daughter is having fits over killing them!

Now I know why my lettuce never gets eaten by slugs,  I will look after all my toads with tender loving care. ( even though our auusie guest says they are vermin!!)

Lollie  44

[quote user="Alcazar"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Did you mean this one, Phil?

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/mouse.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Oh, superb!LOL!  Where do you find them Dick?

Alcazar

[/quote]

What was it that I posted, then? [Www]

Pay attention, no slacking at the back!  [:D]

Weird - I can see the image fine here.  Anyway, thank you for taking the trouble to move it in case someone can't see it on that post. 

Quiet Sunday? [:D]

We've got the Outlaws coming to stay for a week starting tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  They have never been out of the UK and don't like "garlic or anything foreign".  [:(]

But they are paying full whack to stay. [:D]

And I'm chauffeur for the week.  [:(]

But I do get to drive a brand new rental car. [:D]

But it's a Zafira.  [:(]

Yes, it's a diesel turbo.  About as much road feel as a wet sponge.  I feel like I'm sitting on top of it rather than in it - I prefer my bum close to the road!  And the front pillars are a disaster for visibility.

One big plus - if I can squeeze the parent Outlaws into the rear children's seats ..... [:D]