Acers

Russethouse

Gay ...........

Think it might have been my post about Acers losing their burgundy colour in high heat.  That site has some intersting info though, so many thanks.

Saw a few specimens just like ours at a garden show the other weekend - they wanted €200+ for them.  My neighbour would kill for them - better padlock them at night!

I had a feeling someone asked about keeping them in pots, I asked the person on the stand and she stressed that cold will not kill them in the winter as they are completely dormant, but wet might, to avoid this you should not 'over pot', just one size up each time and try to kep them some where sheltered.

I have a lovely red acer and have now bought a lacy leaved green one - disectum something (can't remember) hope it does as well as the red. As you say, decent size plants are very expensive...........

Gay - I had a small back garden in Gateshead for a while - a gardening desert! But managed to create an attractive corner, pond, small trees , pots on the wall etc. I bought two small acers, one purply red and the other lacy green, from the market in Newcastle.They cost about £25 in the mid-90s. They did quite well but the acers don't like cold wind which easily shreds their delicate leaves, so pick a sheltered spot. They were in open ground, not pots. I was sad to leave them when we moved. Pat.

I think it was one of my posts.     My Acer actually did survive the winter, outside in a pot, with any old thing I could find wrapped aorund the pot.   In Uk I used to over-winter it in greenhouse, but here a. we don't have one and b. it wouldn't fit in anyway now.

As it happens it seems (the Acer that is, not the pot!) to have grown enormously since last year - it has definitely grown more than in any other single year since I have had it (must be about 6 years now) and is looking utterly fantastic right now !!    Strange also, that it had little teeny weeny flowers on it for first time ever - I had no idea it flowered.

I will have a look at site mentioned, thank you for this.

Aha ! me again (and so quickly !).  

I have just read the over-wintering section of above-mentioned site, and it seems that more by luck than knowledge, I actually did exactly what they said as regards watering etc, so clearly it does work.

Hi there...I've collected Acers for many years now...my first a beautiful red one is about 14 years old now...and has moved with me five times...in one house I sank its rather large pot up to the rim in the flower bed...among the shrubs...it looked stunning...and  thrived...but it was difficult to get out...as it had rooted through the hole in the bottom of the pot!

They come in many colours...red...lime green...harlequin...varigated...and as you know have either broad or filigree leaves...they used to be very expensive...but then as they became more popular the price in many garden centres in Norfolk came down...so I stocked up...and have nine now...I find them hard to resist.

I keep all mine in pots...(plastic and glazed china)...and move them around...(rather like moving furniture)...through the seasons. Mine all survived quite happily outside again this winter...I don't know whether the fact that I put gravel on the top of them has helped...but I've never pampered them other than that...the gravel helps to keep the moisture in when its hot...oh and I do feed them with chicken pellet manure every so often.

Mine flowered too this year...and now have beautiful little sycamore type seeds hanging from their branches...I may try growing them when they've ripened...my son in law who also loves them...and he grew some from cuttings.

Glad you love these pretty little trees...they're such a joy aren't they.

Effie

We bought ours as a tiny baby at Harrogate Show for £2.50 in 1998 or so. Moved it to the next size pot every 2 years and it has survived in the Lot for over 3 years. The wind and sun cause grief so this autumn we will try planting it in as much shade and shelter as we can find. In our case overwintering just means leaving it alone under the trees by the hedge and pruning = cutting off any dead bits. Di has just reminded me that our plants in general, not just the acer, suffer less frost damage in a colder climate than they ever did near Colchester.

John