More Moles

Suninfrance

OH has just spent the last few days clearing mole hills from our field.  Turned his back for 5 minutes and there were fresh "volcanoes" all over the place.  I can't call them "pimples" as these are true family sized mole hills.  So, finally relenting he brought the Detauper explosive kit.   Within 5 minutes of setting it, and placing it under a large flower pot to stop the cats setting them off and getting injured, he had his first mole.

Now you get 5 thingys in a box.  He has just had to go and get another 2 boxes.

Day two however, on inspecting underneath the flower pot, he was amazed to find that not only had the device not gone off, but it was all but covered with - you guessed it - a fresh mole hill [6].

War has been declared and our field is the battle zone.  Not that OH is obsessed with the little s**s, but he did count up to 2,000 mole hills.  So far we have only scored 4 on the battle zone and the moles have scored 16 (fresh mole hills that is), but at least our little tabby cat is alerting OH to a fresh outbreak, by following him around the field and staring at the ground, just before the earth starts to move.

Something tells me, we will never win this battle.

be carefull with those things! mine developed a fault so I stripped it down, fixed it and put it back together - the fisrt bomb I connected to it went off as I was holiding the dam thing! Luckily, i was holding the wires and not the charge - my face was covered in black stuff and I was deaf for 3 days - honestly, it was just like a cartoon! Seriously, a friend of a friend lost a finger and a half with one, so please take care. I find a dog is great for digging the little blighters up! We have 2 labs and they used to spend ages digging - now, no more moles! Mind you, the garden looks like a lunar landscape!

I go through dozens of blade re-sharpens every year, cutting mole hills on customers gardens........ I found a recipie for them not so long ago - if your interested I will post it....

Steve

OK, you asked for it! Now, I havent tried it yet, no more moles in the garden!

Taupes à la Royale

Ingrédients pour quatre personnes

4 taupes de printemps, rondelettes

2 oignons jaunes

4 échalotes grises

bouquet garni,

sel de Guérande

poivre de Sichuan

une cuiller d'huile d'olive de Lesbos

une poignée de pâte feuilletée

4 tuber melanosporum

un verre de vin de paille ou d'Arbois

Peler les taupes, vider les, conservez le foie; en cocotte, faites les

revenir dans l'huile avec le duxel d'oignons et échalotes pour les faire

dorer.

Garnissez quatre petites terrines, posez une taupe dans chacune, ajoutez le

duxel mélangé aux foies, une truffe émincée par taupe, une cuiller de vin

jaune ( le Sauternes ou le Monbazillac conviennent également, mais le vin

d'Arbois est plus rustique ), couvrir chaque terrine de pâte et passez au

four au bain marie 40 minutes.

Servez avec une purée de vitelottes au parmesan.

Enjoy???????

Steve