Mystery orange flowered climber

Ian

There is a beautiful orange flowered climber that ia so prevelant around here. The flowers are trumpet shaped and it seems a pretty vigorous grower.

My mother-in-law was over 3 weeks ago and she didn't know what it was called (she's a Brit gardening whizz and knows her stuff) so I guess it's a French speciality.

Can anyone help with its mystery name?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Just "Google Imaged" campsis and trumpet vine and you are spot on - A BIG thank you very much. 

We shall be able to track them down and plant some at our new home (once we have sold this one...not going to plant one here - the new people might not like it!)

Really chuffed to find out the name - and so quickly :-)

[quote user="Ian"]There is a beautiful orange flowered climber that ia so prevelant around here. The flowers are trumpet shaped and it seems a pretty vigorous grower.

My mother-in-law was over 3 weeks ago and she didn't know what it was called (she's a Brit gardening whizz and knows her stuff) so I guess it's a French speciality.

Ian
[/quote]

Could it be a bignonia, Ian?

Looks like the other one mentioned here is a blackeye-Susan.

[quote user="aj_dr"]Thank you, Clair. It seems you treat it a bit like a Wisteria.

aj
[/quote]

No, a wisteria you look at for a few weeks after it's planted, then dig it up and fling it around the garden, pulling off as many branches as you can before getting caught with the main stem and roots dangling out of your mouth.[6]

Gardening according to Billy, the Labrador Puppy.

(Luckily for him it was replanted and has started to re-grow!)

Campsis does take a little while to get established, but you might be cutting out the flowering buds if you are being too servere, once your frame work has been established, prune back previous summer's growth to 2 - 3 buds from old wood in early spring.  It is a beautiful plant and grows well with full sun.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe this is it..........Campsis - Bignonia - same thing. Trompette de VirginieJasmin de Virginie

Jasmin trompette

Bignone

Campsis

Jasmin de virginie, bignone, trompette de Virginie, Campsis radicans, Trompette du soleil

According to the website on the photo.   I think they are qwuite hard to start off but once established they can grow to about 20 ft.  I sat staring at one while bored in the doctor's waiting room, it had climbed up a tree and about 20 ft along some electric cables?????  Could be a problem for someone soon.......

• 8 months later...
Sorry - resurrecting an old post here but we have one of these at the front of our house - very well established (trunk is a good 4-5" thick!) and it has been trained to fan out along the roof (though not on the roof).  While trying to find out more about the plant I discovered that it is extremely invasive - in fact considered to be something akin to Japanese Knotweed in the south eastern states of America - there it will grow through walls, up through concrete and is virtually impossible to eliminate.  It's possible that it may be far more restrained in France as the climate isn't so warm and humid - and it certainly seems popular over here.  Having read all this though (especially as it is growing in such proximity to my house - and its new roof!) I'm now panicking!  The article also pointed that it attracts insects (and humming birds - if you happen to live in the SE of the US).  We have certainly observed this as, when in flower, it's a magnet for bees and wasps (in fact we moved five wasp nests this spring when we opened up the house!).  It is also related to poison ivy (common name in the US is 'cow itch) - so gloves are recommended when pruning.

So my question - are my fears about it invading our house justified or can I rest easy so long as we prune regularly and hard?

[img]http://www.homeforexchange.com/newUploadedImages/bunch/16698_17103_large_200705131240494183.jpg[/img]