Pine Tree Problem

Suninfrance

I have an extremely large pine tree in the garden which is now looking a bit sickly.  Many of the green needles have turned yellow and saggy and are looking particularly unhealthy.

Does anyone have a good knowledge of trees who can advise me on what may be causing this please.

Jan

If it is a larch, they are deciduous and lose their needles in winter.  If not, have you had a dry summer ?

You could cut off a branch and take it into your nearest Gamm Vert or garden centre where they could identify it for you.  Alternatively, take a photograph of the tree itself and come close ups - any fircones ?  You could show the photos to a garden centre.

Hello Jan, our 'Christmas tree' is looking in the same state as your pine [:(] We haven't had a good summer but the last month has been very dry with cold nights and some very strong midday sun.We thought this combination might have caused a shock to the system after the tree has been used to moist and not as hot as usual conditions all year. Also is it just me or are all the leaves turning yellow about a month early ?

Hi Suninfrance

At a guess I would say your tree is a Norway spruce but I'm afraid I can't tell you what is wrong with it.

It's a good photo, so if no-one on the forum comes up with some useful info, it would be worth printing a copy and showing it around !

Hi Callie

You could well be right about the tree.  We have some friends coming for the weekend and he works for Barcham Trees, so I'm hoping he will be able to tell us what the problem is.

OH is convinced that his recent bout of weedkilling is responsible for the problem, but surely a tree as large as that could withstand a dose of Roundup?

Jan

I don't think it may be weedkiller now as I went past a small woodland planted with these pines today and a fair few had the odd branch doing the exact same thing. Could be just one of those funny years. Bit like the lack of plumb harvest...

I really hope it won't be anything to do with what is happening in Colorado, where millions of spruce are being decimated by a beetle. What is happening to the poplars and conker trees in France- as we drove down to the Jura we noticed huge numbers dying?

Odile - I think what you saw with poplar and conker trees is that they are shedding their leaves for autumn ! !  It seems to be happening a little earlier this year, but round here we have a lot of poplar plantations.  They are one of the first trees to turn yellow and lose their leaves every year.  They are usually closely followed by the conker (horse chestnut) trees.  So hopefully, there is no reason to worry ![:D]

no sadly they just didn't look autumnal, just dead! I hope I am wron. Certainly our friends in Colorado have seen the forest dying around them the last 3 years. They chose the location because of the trees, and they are heart broken. They have had to cut all trees within a large radius around the house due to fire risks. It is just a dreadful sight- and of course a disaster for wildlife.