crop rotaion

newbiee

My farmer friend and  neighbour uses the same spot year after year and uses only those plants that come up in the plot  from discarded tomatoes from the previous year.  Not sure of the logic but his plants unlike mine have not suffered from blight or any rust and he has always had good crops, maybe its just like letting nature take it's cause.

I always 'pot' mine - did in the UK, do over here.

I use 6 knackered plastic pots (10") with fresh compost and a bit of grit and I find that gives me all the fruit I need + can keep them moist enough.  Partial sun / shade spot.

p.s. Just re-read this - it isn't essential for the pots to be knackered !!

Isn't that strange its exactly what our neighbour does.  Not for him Gamme Vert or any other garden centres he simply pots on the seedlings from last years crop until they are large enough and then  pops them back in to the same spot!  He does not water the plants direct (he has a sort of hollow tube that both supports the plants and down which he pours the water) and which he says protects against blight.  His crops are huge.

I remembered ... they are part of the potato cycle ... so rotations, tomatoes, augergines are planted in the same slot of the rotation cycle.

Tomatoes shouldn't be grown in the same spot for more than three years at the most .... makes 'em more suseptible to blight as well as taking too much of the same nutrient out of the soil for year after year.  Though I've know some plant them in the same place for years, I've also seen their crop diminish.  so, if one has the space, one should rotate as much as poss.

"Tomatoes shouldn't be grown in the same spot for more than three years at the most"......

Before I would have agreed with you about the rotation and maybe its important with some crops and in colder climates and if you use potted on  plants,.  My neighbour tells me that the plants that come from the ground year on year are more and more resistant to blight and disease.  Works for him and his brothers, so I'm giving it a go.  Only problem will be sorting out the cherries from the large ones for pricking out side shoots or not.