help with lauriers please!!!

Frank

Hi all

Looking to pick the collective brain to try and find out what has happened to my laurier bushes (if thats how its spelt!) .  I bought 12 last spring and planted them, all was well, plenty of flowers and well watered and fed.  However this spring, they have all shrivelled and gone brown and are now dead!!!  They are positioned in the sun, get plenty of water and are at the side of a vineyard.  It's my third attempt at planting a 'screen' at the end of the garden and its now getting quite expensive[:-))]  I don't know if its the moles that have eaten through the roots or just bad luck, any advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone can recommend a quick growing bush that will grow at the end of a garden in full sun next to a vineyard it would also be greatly appreciated[:)]

Many thanks

Jetlag

Are they dead or just have brown leaves? 

They don't like the cold or being too wet and that makes the leaves go brown, they have to be protected in the winter and from cold winds with a fleece.  Try cutting them down, getting rid of the brown leaves to a joint above the ground, they should sprout new growth when it warms up a bit.  Careful how you handle the leaves though.

That's it.............the cold!! Thanks Ron for your quick reply. I thought they were hardy for the winter, obviously not[:-))]  Will cut them back like you have advised and see what happens, but I think they are probably in the great garden in the sky now[:P].  Thanks again

Jetlag

[quote user="Clair"]Are you referring to the laurier-rose (oleander)?
If so, it should tolerate temperatures down to -10°C.[/quote]

It actually says "and will tolerate occasional light frost down to -10°C.  On that definition I wonder what a heavy frost is!! 

They certainly doesn't like the cold wind either and grow far better further south towards the med.

We made the same mistake the first year of not covering it with a fleece and had to cut it back to get rid of the brown leaves, but it did recover.[:)]

To answer the second point, hawthorn make a good barrier and spread quite well if kept low also firethorn which is a quick grower.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that laurier was laurel in English.  Clearly not the oleander!

My laurel hedge is enormous and copes with VERY cold winters - I want to shorten it as it is now  about 20 ft tall along the roadside - shorter in the garden because of the slope.

Anyone interested in cutting it ?