Honeysuckle Halliana

hakunamatata

I have a honeysuckle Halliana which is on our terrace which faces east. It has suffered with mildew and leaf drop and looks really miserable compared to everything else. It has been watered and mulched but I am determined that come the Autumn it is going to the compost heap. Can anyone suggest a good alternative preferably long flowering and evergreen. I already have jasmine and clematis and solanum and a vine (all doing well). Maybe a not too vigorous rose, but suggestions welcome.

With all of the rain we had in the winter of 2007 into 2008, our entire hedge of halliana's suffered horrible leaf blight.  I was sure they were gonners.  However, did some research and went to the local garden shop to buy some of this:

• Mancozeb (Fore) is labeled for control of leaf blight, listed as Herpobasidium blight.

Fungicide is especially helpful in nurseries.

Found it, although the guy had to check the list of ingredients on nearly all of his fungicide as the name above was not the main name of the product - however it was noted in the fine print...

Worked like a charm.  The hedge is coming back beautifully.  Perhaps you could give it a try, but don't wait too late as I'm not sure you can use it in the heat of the summer...

I scanned this posting simply to see what this honeysuckle is all about. Used google and it is indeed lovely.

Our neighbour has put up on top of his wall a structure of alu and plastic sheeting and I need to cover it.

I have been in France for far too long to argue with this type of neighbour and who is not like in the village.

I can buy on line and from someone that I have bought from in the past a mature specimen and it can be delivered shortly.

What sort of support structure does Halliana need please?

• 2 weeks later...

Dragonrouge, I grow honeysuckles on horizontal wires, spaced at about 70cms and secured to the walls with smallish metal eyelets - they seem to approve.  [:D]

May I suggest a Trachelospermum jasminoides as a suitable (indeed, superior [;-)],) replacment for the Halliana Hakunamatata?  I have grown several of these in large pots over the years, both in UK and France and they have always been delightful.  I am sure you will be able to find a good specimen of this beautiful, scented, evengreen climber in your local Jardiland. [:D]