Covering garden

tuppence

Hi,

I have a rather large garden which is much too big for me to keep in check (I am a female senior citizen with no other family to help[:(]). Last year 2 guys used it as an allotment but have not done so this year due to the time it took to do. So I have decided to strim all the garden  and cover it over to stop weeds growing (if that's possible). My question is what do I cover it with, I have seen strong green netting stuff or heavy black plastic[I]. Are these feasible? And does anyone know where I could buy the green netting/black plastic over here?

Many thanks in advance

tuppence

I have usd black stuff for years. The most successful has been covered with a good layer of gravel, then I've cut slits in it and planted small shrubs, which have now grown, and look good. Over the years weeds have come up, but if I can get to them while they are small, I just scuff them with my feet, and they die. Otherwise, I'm in for some hand-weeding!

The black stuff I've used is a sort of woven material - not cheap, but works, and lasts well.

For short term covering (maybe a season or two), I use carpet. This is rather unsightly, but is in the back garden, so not seen by many. It does a brilliant job, and is especially good for covering weeds and grass in the veggie patch - lovely to uncover it to find lovely crumbly soil, instead of a messy area. I don't grow as many veg as I used to, as we spend long chunks of time in France, so it's been very useful in helping to reduce the veg patch size. When the weeds and grass have gone I've been planting shrubs and ground cover plants.

Jo

• 3 weeks later...
Just a thought tuppence, perhaps there is someone in your area who might like to cultivate it. Like the two guys did last year. Perhaps advertising it locally may be an idea. perhaps a card in the local spar shop (can't remember the name of your local shop)x

Suey

We covered one section of our garden with a large blue tarpaulin - known as "bache" here. From gardening shops.

This wasn't 100% successful, but the weeds that did come up were feeble and easily pulled up.

Another idea would be if you can afford to fence it, get a few neighbour's sheep to graze it. Or even one or two of you own. This is what the last owner of our first house had done. A very ancient sheep, she thought aged about 20. Their droppings make good manure too.

The general idea was to cover it to kill the weeds as best I could, and I was advised that it may take 18 months to do that. Then to keep them at bay, plant up what I would like there and then cover the remaining garden with green bache (as my neighbour has done successfully). It would look at least tidy and green, as opposed to the 4ft high grass and weeds there at present[6]. Also there is a good side to the recent spate of good weather, what I thought was a barren fruit tree has turned out to be a victoria plum tree with the most amazing plums I've ever tasted. My neighbout has had about 25 kilos off me to make jam of which I am promised several jars when done[:)]. Other friends have had at least 2 kilos each and all are feeling very plumptious[;-)].

thanks to everyone for their ideas.........watch this space!

tuppence

I guess it depends on how large the area is and how much you want to spend covering it.  How about a 'jardin jachere' like this...    I planted one as a back drop for my daughters wedding this year and it really looked sublime.  A local guy turned the soil, I picked out the stones and then scattered about €40 of seeds that I bought from the local agricultural co-op.  Prettier than looking at black plastic and at the end of the season, the soil is turned with the seeds and it comes up again next year! 

I've been lucky, a neighbour of mine has a stack of old tarp, and has let me have as much as I want. This weekend I've laid the tarp over a 16 sq metre area of garden, and received a cubic metre of stone which I'm covering the tarp with. In some places it's going to be about 20cm deep in stone. Dirt cheap €40 including delivery.

As I'm on my own now (like yourself), I'm trying to get the garden as maintenance free as possible. If this doesn't work, I don't know what will!

R.