surplus of tomatoes

Patf

I  got back from the UK last weekend, then had visitors last week, and am facing a huge quantity of over-ripe tomatoes. We only put in 6 plants so thought it would be manageable. I have only picked a few - maybe 5% -  and am up to 4 kilos already. So am planning to make chutney tomorrow in my biggest pan.

Has anyone any more practical ideas? I've already given a few very soggy ones to the poultry, but don't want to overdo it. I suppose just freezing isn't an option?

HELP!

ps I've just found a part of the answer to my question. Last post on this thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/712946/ShowPost.aspx

Interesting  -I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Hi Pat, you could cut a load in half & roast them with s & p, herbs & a drizzle of oil. They'll keep in an airtight container for a week or so, nice as an apero & you can also store them in oil. They're good for salads, pasta dishes & soup.  

We drop ours in boiling water, skin them, chop into chunks, freeze in suitable size bags. Can be used for many meals & soups, or just fried on toast.

Or make Gazpacho - 1 1/2kg tomatoes, cut in chunks - don't crush, 1 cucumber, 1 small onion, 1 small green pepper, all chopped - not too small, about 1 or 2 seconds in a food processor, 1 garlic clove pounded with a few almonds and a little olive oil, 1/4 cup each olive oil & red wine vinegar, salt & black pepper, dash cayenne.

If eating right away, add 2 or 3 cups of tomato juice for this quantity, refrigerate for a few hours if possible, and serve over a little crushed ice in each bowl.

This keeps 2 or 3 days, and we have quite a lot in summer - or freeze in bags size of one meal per bag. Add the tomato juice after defrosting..

Jayjay is right - Tomates Confites reduce a lot, and they can be frozen - I find it is one of those  items that seems to become even tastier after freezing! On the other hand, I have been very disappointed with the tomatoes I froze "au naturel".

Gazpacho is also a great one. You could even make tomato juice and freeze that!

Or make passata - cook with onions and garlic on a low heat for 2-3 hours.  Sieve to take out any skins, or blend and then freeze in batches - can be used as a base for stews casseroles or Italian pasta sauces - including Bolognese.

Thanks for all the ideas, some of which I'm going to try.

I haven't even picked the ripe ones yet - only the first few kilos, which I made into chutney this pm. It has been so scorching hot, I just can't face the garden - maybe early tomorrow morning.

How about soup for a warm sunny day

peel over ripe tomatoes,

chop up some potatoes skin on

chop a large onion

garlic skinned and chopped

sugar

olive oil

chicken stock cube

Heat a little olive oil, add the onions and potatoes gently fry but not brown.

Add garlic cook gently

Add chopped skinned tomatoes and dissolved chicken stock cube and a little sugar

Cook toms,  potatoes and onions until very soft.

Now puree, leave to cool, keep in fridge, add a few ice cubes

Serve with a little olive and red wine vinegar and serve with HOT croutons

The soup is very thick, and you can add some iced water to thin before adding the olive oil,vinegar and croutons.

Really good ideas, thanks folks. I've now picked all the ripe ones.

What is strange is that all the other gardens round here have rows of tomato plants still not ripe. Perhaps it was something to do with me being away and not watering them during the hot weather, for about 3 weeks. They are all very sweet.

[quote user="Patf"]What is strange is that all the other gardens round here have rows

of tomato plants still not ripe. Perhaps it was something to do with me

being away and not watering them during the hot weather, for about 3

weeks. They are all very sweet.[/quote]

My neighbour told me the very same thing this morning.

He'd been watering his tomatoes very dutifully every evening (each plant has its own water bottle planted head down with the bottom cut off) but the tomatoes were still green, though they were a good size. They started ripening quickly once he reduced the watering to once every three or four days.