Runner beans

Chancer

I am talking about the type grown in the UK (phaseolus coccineus), you will have to forgive my ignorance as I am not a gardener.

A neighbour in the UK gave me some seeds, well I say seeds they were enormous brightly coloured beans that my first instinct was to use as a kitchen decoration as they are too beautiful to plant!

Anyway I gave them as a Christmas present to my friends young son as I know he spends many happy hours with Pappy on their pôtager and they did look kind of spectacular, so they got to Jacky through at least one intermediary but I did photocopy some stuff from a couple of books I have and he likes to speak English, I find that when its a subject of interest the language is not so important.

However I think there may have been some communication breakdown, via the grandson I recently received back some more (seed) beans from their freezer to eat, I checked and they were not for me to plant (he knows I have no garden) but to eat, seemingly he had let them grow and then they had been throwing away the pod and eating the beans like flageoulets.

My book says to never let the seeds grow in the pod and that the pods should be eaten young like French beans, so a few questions:

Are they safe to eat like that?

Would they have tasted awfull and perhaps perpetuated even more English food myths?

If they are edible any recipe ideas for mine?

My cooking and vegtable growing expert the wife, says that sometimes when the runner beans get a bit too ripe they get stringy so she cuts the beans out and cooks them with the rest of the younger pods and beans. simple, enjoy.