What flowers?

Angel

We rarely miss an opportunity to do some planting and have not stopped since we moved here two years ago. Even before we made the break from the UK I had sent in the landscapers to clear the garden of all the overgrown shrubs so that we could tranfer over the first few plants from Bedfordshire to the Indre.

I am creating a large new bed down the left hand side of the garden leading up to the newly constructed log cabin which will be the classroom for the Garden Design Academy, freeing up a wing of the house which we can now use as a gite. It has been a parking place for trees, shrubs and herbacious plants for which we had no immediate home and as a nursery for the cuttings which people keep offering me. I still have a few plants bought at the autumn plant fair at Courson which have yet to be planted - a Daphne tangutica, a few grasses and a dark purple Magnolia called Black Tulip. These can now be found a home, perhaps next to some of the plants I lifted from my Mother in Law's garden in Bordeaux, when she died last year.

We have just built a front garden wall and that has created lots of new planting opportunities which the nurserymen attending the Courson spring fair can help me with.  But the question was what plants; for that you can keep an eye on my blog " A Gardener in France" at

:http://gardendesigncompany.wordpress.com/

The usual, Angel:  geraniums in pots and antirynums (spelling?) in beds.

BTW, for those interested, Leclerc (at least our local branch) have roses costing a couple of euros each and we have bought half a dozen to add to the existing ones in our new house.

The old house already has many wonderful roses that OH planted so, when it's sold, the new owners can be truly amazed and delighted with them.

The spring bulbs are coming up thickly in both houses and I am looking forward to a magnificent show.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Yes, JJ, a couple of climbers to hide an ugly low wall built in true DIY fashion but too solid to knock down![/quote]

errm, . .  not quite what I had in mind, I meant that if LeClerc has climbers I will pop down and and get a few for myself, I've got three supports for the terrace that need a bit of pink[:)]

[quote user="Angel"]Are you all planting this year?[/quote]

Yes constantly

Rudbeckias, because they give a wonderful show of flowers till late into October/November.

Canterbury Belles because they are so beautiful

Foxgloves for a spectacular display of elegance

Cosmos because they look after themselves without any fuss

Marigolds just because you must have them in a border  [:D]

Lavender, or to be more precise, lavendin.  Actually, they (40 or so) were planted as 'youngsters' in Sept 2010 and all bar two have survived the winter.

In this climate, you quickly learn what does and doesn't work. Thus, things like fuschia can be iffy - a few varieties are OK, most a dead loss (literally).

The honey bees love the lavendin & there'll be dozens around most of the day in the summer (no more than 3m from where we eat in the shade & not troubling us at all) from their hives 1km away. 

That reminds me to seal up that window on the side of the house where we had a big nest of bees last spring!