wormery query

confused of chalus

Has anyone seen wormerys for sale in France. What would it be called? I used to have one in the UK but left it behind (hope the new owners of our house kept feeding my babies). My compost heap here is a mess and I got really good results with kitchen waste with my wormery, lots of liquid plant food as well.

Kathy

Thanks Joelle - but I've just ordered one from the French website. My OH wouldn't let me have a pink or blue one though! (he was worried that the stylish foot would mean it blew over in the wind) so I have a boring forest green one coming next week. I suspect the price will even out if you include postage. Didn't order their worms though - they seemed very expensive at 25 euros for 1/2 kilo. Will have a dig about in my compost heap and see what I have there, or perhaps buy some fishing bait worms  - they are the same aren't they?

kathy

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Didn't order their worms though - they seemed very expensive at 25 euros for 1/2 kilo. [/quote]

It's the old rose chafers that do the bizz.

I have a big plastic composter for veg scrapings / tea bags / manky salad etc + a bit of wood ash + minced dry leaves .................. and after a normal red hot summer, it's black gold by October.

Same with the leaf composter: 2m x 1.5m x 1m, made out of old planks and a few 7cm x 7cm uprights. Minced up oak leaves, with a bit of compost accelerator. In 6wks, it's now 70% of it's original volume - by Oct it'll be down to 20%. More black gold.

No secret: when I 'harvest' the compost, I sieve out the chafers that have been merrily munching away on the material all summer and chuck them back in to the material. Now, I don't know (and don't care much) whether these are the original blokes, or whether the originals have hatched and flown away and these ones are their offspring. Just know that it works for me.

Added advantage: a few chafers sauteed off with a bit of chilli are very tasty with some noodles in sesame oil.