grass cutting

blancbonnet

Hi

We've finally made the move after 10 years and are now in beautiful Mayenne [ 53 ] full time.  Trouble is we have been here for four weeks and cannot find a solution to mowing the grass in the orchard of about 3 acres.  We have tried everywhere to buy a large lawnmower / small sit-on but just can't find anything.  Apparently they are very much in demand.  We would be very grateful if anyone could point us to a place with them for sale.  On the other hand, it's really nice not to have to bother at the moment but it is getting longer and longer !   We are between Evron and Sillé.  Grateful for any suggestions.  Cheers, Peter

Hi and thanks for replying. I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear.   I know where to buy them locally but what I meant to say was whether a large, robust looking lawnmower would be up to the job, as it certainly isn't a surburban lawn, nor do we wish it to be. There are bumps and clumps of nettles and I was thinking I might need something bigger ? Or would you think a large domestic lawnmower would cope ?  Thanks for any thoughts.  [ I'm afraid sheep are not possible unfortunately ]

For that size, you definitely need a good sit-upon one. A good make is Kubota, diesel, and they're up to the job and can run all day and are very robust. The one we bought was in the region of 8,000 euros and I've not regretted a penny since has proved it's value. We too have a large area to mow and it's not flat, lots of bumps and lumps.

But, thinking about the cost of diesel, spares, repairs, etc., it probably works out cheaper over 5 years to get someone in with their own equipment to do it. On a hot sunny day I've thought that mowing the lawn was a chore and would much prefer to be out doing something else.

In your place I would work out whether it's better to buy or get someone in to do it. You can buy sit on mowers for a lot cheaper than we did, but Mr. Nectarine insisted on this make for its sturdiness and reliability. If you buy, get the widest possible cutting width, and also get a mulcher! We didn't ... so have to either leave the grass or pick it up and that takes a lot of time.

Our "garden" is 1 acre and quite bumpy and uneven,  we have a ride on mower that was bought by the last occupants of our house from Mr Bricolage,  it has a cuttings collecter on the back, which saves you raking up the grass. The machine is at least 10 years old and we have it serviced about every two or three years cost about 200 Euro. So I think for about 2000 Euro new; they are good value. The newer models now have mulching facilities.

We have similar land, rough field grass, and have a M. Bricolage siton like Nick's.

You need to wait until the grass is dry before cutting though or else the blades soon become blunt.

There is another type of machine which is good on rough land/grass - petrol driven , it has a big wheel at the front, blades behind, and wide apart handles -( not a siton.) I'm not sure what it's called but a friend used it on some very long grass, bumpy land, at our last house.

We had 4 hectares there and eventually bought a mini  tractor with a grasscutting attachment. Which we recently sold on LeBonCoin for 4000€.

Try looking on LeBonCoin for your dept.

Many thanks for all your suggestions - all were very helpful. We were looking at the machine that Patf I think suggested [ débroussailleuse sur roue, I think is right ] which is like a very sturdy strimmer on three wheels. We saw one on Bon Coin and spoke with the seller who, despite losing a sale, said it would not be suitable for the amount of land here. He suggested a small tractor which we are now looking for. Sheep not possible because of dogs and local farmer, I take the point, but we would just prefer to do it ourselves - for now ! Thanks again for your advice.

Most of the ride-on mowers specify the maximum recommended area to cut, and they seem to be around 3000-5000 sq metres. It's fairly obvious that you'll need something bigger, so you're on the right tracks I think with the tractor - but pricey!

If I were you I'd start by getting down the Mairie and hiring the driver and tractor de commune. Ours is a nominal cost about 28Euros for a morning which will sort out the grass for starters. Once its cleared and shortish it won't rip the guts out of an ordinary 105 cm cut ride on. I have about 2 acres to cut with mine, and I get in a highest cut 1st part of season, then another once its dried a couple of days later, both on firing the mowings to the side, leave it 5 days then do it slow on mulch, and before long we can play cricket on it.

[quote user="Bugsy"]Why not do what we have with our field. Arrange for a local farmer to cut it and give him the bails of hay in return. works for us.[/quote]

[quote user="Saucedecochon"]If I were you I'd start by getting down the Mairie and hiring the driver and tractor de commune. Ours is a nominal cost about 28Euros for a morning which will sort out the grass for starters. Once its cleared and shortish it won't rip the guts out of an ordinary 105 cm cut ride on. I have about 2 acres to cut with mine, and I get in a highest cut 1st part of season, then another once its dried a couple of days later, both on firing the mowings to the side, leave it 5 days then do it slow on mulch, and before long we can play cricket on it.
[/quote]

I agree with the above, I am in a similar position, about 12Ksqm, some quite level and some not, I have a local farmer cut it with a mega Fiat tractor rig, in about an hour, 3 times a year for €100, anything else, tree felling, tree stump removal, re-landscaping etc, all available at the same rate, and no fuss. We are trying to encourage wild flowers and flutterbys so do little else apart from spreading wild flower seeds, though we do do a little close mow around the house when there. It looks good enough to me.[:D]