Mower Service "Have quick look " No Chance !

Frederick

Today once again  have encountered the French attitude to service.   Mower started playing up...It would run on pulling the cord then stop... Carted it down to the mower service place 10 Ks away  showed the guy  what was happening   "Carburetta  "  he says pointing out the obvious problem . " Can you check it ?  "  I ask   .. The reply  " Bring it back on the 20th "   Not interested in looking at it at all..walks off ...... So I cart it home again .. Lift it up onto garden table  Remove dirty oily air filter notice a spring had  become unhooked that works the air intake butterfly put it back on ...Jobs a good un !

If the guy had had a quick look and did the same as I did .... 15 minutes  tops  he would have eaned a good few euros and my gratutude ....Unfortunatly  his  attitude to service is typical in France it appears to me  these days ...... It must be nice to be so rich you can treat your  customers this way .  Next time the mower plays up...he will not be seeing it I will be fixing it myself and one more local tradesman will have lost my support.

Perhaps he was just busy. It's annoying to be a customer who has booked an appointment but whose work is being put off because the repair man is constantly being interrupted by people dropping in impromtu and asking for a "few minutes" (which often turn out to mean a lot longer).

Busy !   I waited 20 minutes while he chatted outside the place to a couple who had a Mini Moke the history of  it and details of  its purchase breing more important than  his work  on peoples mowers !   

Boom, boom! Oh dear.

But seriously, there are still places where only the locals get prompt service. Not to put too fine a point on it, English accents affect repsonses. I've only come across a few instances and each time I've taken my trade elsewhere, never to return. I suppose that not everyone likes us!

We have fantastic garage near us, when I arrived in France, after leaving the car garaged for several months,upon first starting it, petrol dripped underneath,I drove it to the garage followed by a friend, the owner said leave it here with me and I will look at it this afternoon,telephone later.

Later that day, I telephoned... car ready...35 euros.

Yes, excellent. I have had dozens of examples of really good service from the locals, and I think that Fredericks experience is an exception, and we don't always get great service back in the UK do we, so why would it be perfect here?