Transplanting carrots

CeeJay

I was always told by venerable gardeners that one should not transplant root vegetables as it doesn't work! I then discovered that beetroot could be sown in a box and then planted out, but recently I have been amazed when I was told by my son that he always sows carrots in a tray and then when about 2" tall plants them out in the garden, I have never heard of this before. Anybody else tried this method?

No, never tried it, but I could see how it would work.

For one thing, you don't have to muck about thinning out the seedlings and if you were then to plant the (by then) quite developed individual plants in well-prepared soil, then away you go.

I could see that approach working for me - problem is that I'm not sure that I could be bothered with it all. 

We buy and eat a reasonable amount of root veg, but not enough to fret about growing it ourselves.  Prefer to confine myself to soft fruit, which is more expensive to buy and in many ways, easier to grow (with the stoney soil we have here).   

We were similarly  confounded  when, a year or two ago,  we saw our neighbour here transplanting young carrot s which he had thinned from the rows   in his potager.  It seemed to work fine for him. Although  anything he touches seems to grow. If he shoves a stick into the ground it sprouts !