Pest in the Lawn

John Brown

I now have an animal or animals thats burrowing in my lawn. Its forming tunnels that are just below the surface with a result that I've got these patterns that go on for metres randomly across the lawn. They seem to start in the borders.

What are they and how do I get rid of them. The cat from next door sits for hours watching these humps forming and now and again will dig a hole into the tunnel but it never seems to get anything.

I've tried pressing the tunnels flat but they reappear overnight.

Moles I can live with but these are something else

Thanks John

The most likely culprit from the description is mice.  You could try setting traps in the garden - I find Nutella is a very good bait - and see if you catch any to at least confirm the theory.   Part cover the traps to avoid other interested speicies getting caught - a cat with a snap trap on its paw is not a pretty sight and difficult to catch without risking serious injury to yourself.

After that, wait for summer when the ground will be too hard for them to burrow (we all hope so anyway).

[quote user="John Brown"]I now have an animal or animals thats burrowing in my lawn. Its forming tunnels that are just below the surface with a result that I've got these patterns that go on for metres randomly across the lawn. They seem to start in the borders.

What are they and how do I get rid of them. The cat from next door sits for hours watching these humps forming and now and again will dig a hole into the tunnel but it never seems to get anything.

I've tried pressing the tunnels flat but they reappear overnight.

Moles I can live with but these are something else

Thanks John

[/quote]

I think I might try feeding a hose into one of the tunnels and turning on the tap......You might just find out whats down there  when they pop out into your borders........

A campagnole perhaps?

Adorable little creatures, I had one for ages that would surfacefrom time to time either in my garage or the cellar, sadly the more areas that I block paved the harder his little life became until he/she either snuffed it underground or moved on to pastures new.

I really miss clearing up after him and I really admired his stamina, I caught a few glances of him(her) and as I said it was really adorable.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I've just tried to photo the raised tunnels in the garden but it doesn't show up very well in a photo

What ever it is, appears to be bigger than a mouse but smaller than a mole. It doesn't come up to the surface like a mole does, but every night extends its tunnels more into the lawn by about 2 metres in a random pattern. It repairs were I've trodden it flat as well. Its tunnel is just under the surface with the roof of the tunnel pushed up to form this pattern.

I will set traps tonight and cover them with plastic crates so other animals don't get caught. I'm told Macadamia Nuts are irresistible in traps

I'll post a photo of anything I catch. We are not having a good time ATM. A Pine Martin took my 2 chickens and killed 14 in one go from next door. It was caught and dispatched against my wishes, but that's Rural French ways it seems!

Thanks John

Sorry about the gobbledegook on my last post.

I've seen that happen before! I presume its when you copy and paste something you've written in Word

I'll know better next time

Trap set, wait and see what it gets. I'll let it go in a field far far away !

John